Series Review & Blog Tour ~ Landry Park+Jubilee Manor

Author: Bethany Hagen
Genre: YA Dystopian
Series: Landry Park
Page Length: 374 | 400
Publication Date: February 4th, 2014 | August 11th, 2015
Publisher: Dial Books
Source: Bought |
Copy via Penguin
Goodreads -
Landry ParkJubilee Manor
Amazon | Amazon
B&N | B&N

Synopsis for Landry Park: 

In a fragmented future United States ruled by the lavish gentry, seventeen-year-old Madeline Landry dreams of going to the university. Unfortunately, gentry decorum and her domineering father won't allow that. Madeline must marry, like a good Landry woman, and run the family estate. But her world is turned upside down when she discovers the devastating consequences her lifestyle is having on those less fortunate. As Madeline begins to question everything she has ever learned, she finds herself increasingly drawn to handsome, beguiling David Dana. Soon, rumors of war and rebellion start to spread, and Madeline finds herself and David at the center of it all. Ultimately, she must make a choice between duty - her family and the estate she loves dearly - and desire.
There's something utterly beguiling about this series. It charmed me from page one and enchanted me until the end of the series. Maybe it's the writing or the characterization, perhaps it's the world-building or possibly the romance. Or it could be all of the above. 

The East has taken over the US west of the Rockies, and the rest of America needed quick order after their loss in the war. Nuclear power becomes the source of energy, and class divides ensue. The gentry control all the resources and rule through connections and influence. The Rootless, the lowest class, are oppressed and given the worst jobs which subject them to radiation poisoning. As talks of a revolution brew as well as attacks from the East, Madeline Landry must decide where her loyalties lie, with her family and duty or with her heart.

Hagen's plot and storyline are scarily probable sometime in the future. It discusses the very real problem we could run into with nuclear power and abusing it. Hagen managed to flush out the world well, and her world-building was amazing. We really felt like we knew and understood the world. This series has so many twists and complex notions.

This book is pitched as Downton Abbey meets The Selection, but I'd like to throw in some Pride & Prejudice vibes as well. Order, prosperity, and elegance is the slogan of the gentry, and I loved all the scenes at the social events along with the costumes and the decorum. The pure decadence of the gentry lifestyle from the gorgeous estates to the beautiful gowns and the sheer opulence makes this book such an appealing read. Hagen's writing takes on the flair of Jane Austen. Her writing is beautiful, and I was equally stunned by the impeccable word choice. So often in YA novels, I mourn the lack of sophisticated vocabulary. The gorgeous Austen-influenced writing and diction were two elements I deeply enjoyed.

Madeline is such an amazing protagonist. Seeing her growth throughout the series has made her easily one of my favorite protagonists. She stands up for her beliefs and isn't afraid to take charge and set things right. She's not one to dwell on frivolous matters, and she's levelheaded. All the characters are strong and weak in their own ways. I love how none of them are inherently good. They all have good and bad in them, and they must decide which parts of themselves they side with. The warring within themselves perfectly matches the one on the outside among society. I loved the complexity of all the characters. They all had hidden agendas and secret desires. We see so many of the characters in the Landry Park series struggle with tough decisions. Some make the right choices while others falter.

The romance is just as heart-wrenching as that of Elizabeth Bennet's, and I really liked how it progressed. It was the searing looks and the thoughtful notions that set this one ablaze. There's a lot more darkness and a mystery in Jubilee Manor (one that I couldn't figure out!). The conclusion to this wonderful series was well done if a bit rushed. I especially loved the huge significance of Landry Park to Madeline and how it changes her.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed this series and am sad to see it go. It's a bit slow in places, so I warn you.... There's not much on the action front, but if you're in the mood for a story with the likes of Pride & Prejudice and has great themes, I urge you to check this one out.


And now as part of the blog tour, I'm sharing some Pinterest boards that I think complement the series well.


Follow Rachel's board Behind the Dress Campaign on Pinterest.

Rachel is a teenaged unapologetic fangirl and perfectionist.

She loves reading for the escape it gives from reality and enjoys crying over books, swooning over characters, and laughing out loud over funny lines. She is a semi-recovering Netflix addict and a middle child of three.

You can find her on Twitter @yaperfectionist & Goodreads.

9 comments:

  1. Oooooh, I love the Pinterest boards you chose, Rachel! And I hope I can get my hands on Jubilee Manor soonish because I enjoyed Landry Park and want to know where the story goes next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THOSE DRESSES ON PINTEREST <333 GIMME PLEASE. I will pay in chocolate and smiles.

    I love the sound of this! Even though I didn't like The Selection (lol), I liked the idea behind it, so the comp bodes well! Plus PRIDE & PREJUDICE YES. You've won me over with that

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read and loved the first one! I need to read the second one, but is it silly that I'm a little upset that it is only a duology?! haha. Great review and I love the pinterest board! :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG your Pinterest Board is so cute! I also got an email about this tour but I was thinking of doing a photoshoot with my sister instead with the dresses and everything. I thought that would be so cool and since she's a model anyways! Loved this and I'm loving the book right now!

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually dislike the "Book X meets Book Y" sales pitches but this one has totally sold me-especially with your addition of P&P. GAH I want to read this so bad now. Characters that are fully developed and experience growth plus an awesome romance? *grabby hands* Love the pins you picked out for the Pinterest board as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read Landry Park and absolutely loved it, but for some reason I haven't been motivated to pick up Jubilee Manor, but your review has reminded me to give it a try. So glad to hear that it's just as good as Landry Park - there's nothing worse than when a sequel isn't as good as the previous book. Thanks for sharing Rachel and fabulous review! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome review, Rachel!!! I have been meaning to pick these up for a while, and now I want to read them even more! Fantastic pinterest boards as well -- the pictures you chose are absolutely gorgeous!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. This duet sounds lovely, Rachel! I'm more worried about the romance in the first, which seems like it would frustrate me, but maybe it's worth it?? I love that you compare it to Downtown Abby and Pride and Prejudice!

    Great review, hon! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really interested in these! I've heard of them, but never gave them much thought. I definitely want to check these out soon!

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)