ARC Review ~ Everything, Everything

Author: Nicola Yoon
Genre: YA Contemporary
Page Length: 320 Pages
Publication Date: September 1st, 2015
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Source: ARC via author (Thank you, Nicola <3)

This innovative, heartfelt debut novel tells the story of a girl who’s literally allergic to the outside world. When a new family moves in next door, she begins a complicated romance that challenges everything she’s ever known. The narrative unfolds via vignettes, diary entries, texts, charts, lists, illustrations, and more.

My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.
"Life is a gift. Don't forget to live it."

This book is such a breath of fresh air. First let's talk about the cover. Isn't it just gorgeous?! Madeline Whittier is allergic to so many things that she stays confined in her house, which is basically devoid of color just as Madeline's every day is devoid of life and ordinary experiences. The cover shows the beautiful transformation that takes place in Madeline's life as she falls in love and lives her life like she's never done before.

"Love is worth everything. Everything."

I love the diversity in Everything, Everything. Madeline is half Japanese and half African American, and I think it's great that more and more authors are starting to branch out from the normal all American girl protagonists that center many YA books and bringing more diverse characters. Madeline's stubbornness, humor, and positivity make her one of my favorite protagonists. I love how she doesn't take anything for granted and wants to experience all that life has to offer. It's really humbling and a great reminder to us of how fortunate we are to be healthy and get to experience all parts of life while others only get fragments. Olly is so adorable and his energy and thoughtfulness make him so swoony. I love the relationships between Madeline and her mother. It speaks of closeness and understanding that far surpasses any words. 

"I was happy before I met him. But I'm alive now, and those are not the same thing."

The romance is saccharine sweet with great development and cute moments. The gestures, the poems, the IMs, the five favorites, the limericks, the everything! It's all so well done, and I love how it all starts out as a tentative curiosity, then a great friendship before turning into an epic love. It's hard at first because Madeline needs to be careful who she touches for fear of triggering her illness, so every touch holds so much meaning between these two. Just the description of the feelings a single touch evokes for Madeline is mesmerizing.


"I was crying so hard to find the single pivotal moment that set my life on its path. The moment that answered the question, how did I get here? But it's never just one moment. It's a series of them. And your life can branch out from each one in a thousand different ways. Maybe there's a version of your life for all the choices you made and all the choices you don't."

The writing is so very literate and gorgeous. It's thought-provoking too. I kept snapping pictures of so many lines to quote in my review, and I had to narrow it down. Nicola's writing is golden. I also loved the adorable little charts and sketches and personal touches that really bring us closer to Madeline, her thoughts, her dreams, and her humor. It's such a unique portrayal unlike anything I've ever read before. There are so many great themes in this novel, and I especially love how this book practically shouts be your happiest self and do what you want to do. Don't take life for granted and just live every day to the fullest. It's something that we can all relate to and hopefully learn from this book. 

My only faults with this book is that it's a bit unrealistic in parts (especially when Madeline secretly sets up her own credit card. HOW?!) Also there's a twist near the end of the novel, and I predicted it. It dulled the effect of the plot twist a tad, but I still felt the overall feelings and emotions that such a surprise would evoke in readers and Madeline alike. 

Overall this emotional and heartfelt read really struck a chord, and I'd recommend this book because it means everything, everything to me.
Rachel is a teenaged unapologetic fangirl and perfectionist.

She loves reading for the escape it gives from reality and enjoys crying over books, swooning over characters, and laughing out loud over funny lines. She is a semi-recovering Netflix addict and a middle child of three.

You can find her on Twitter @yaperfectionist & Goodreads.

15 comments:

  1. Ohhhh. This is making me wish I have Everything, Everything in my hands now. A girl who is allergic to so many things? And the way the words play out. EEEEK hahahahaha. Great review! :)

    Maryam @ Once Upon A Story

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I loved this one quite a bit too. I was so happy it lived up to that gorgeous cover. The parts that were unbelievable I totally overlooked because I was just enjoying it so much - Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing review, Rachel!!!! I've been wanting to read this book for months now, and I've heard so many great things about it, so I'm glad to know you really enjoyed it too! I somehow had no idea that the story was told in various forms like text, diary entries, illustrations, etc. but I absolutely love when books have all of those sorts of things since (like you said), it makes you feel closer to the characters and almost see them from a different perspective. I am even more excited for this book after reading your lovely review, and I think I officially need this book RIGHT NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is not my kind of book at all, but I really want to read it. It sounds so diverse, and I also love thought-provoking books. I'm glad you liked it and great review. :)

    Vane at Books With Chemistry

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was my favorite August read and I'm so happy to see that lots of other people are loving it too!! (That credit card thing struck me as odd too, though.)

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard SO many positive things about this book so it had to go on my TBR. I loved reading your review though. I do like that we are getting more diverse characters and also some insight on some illnesses that some people do have. I think this one sounds so different, and the romance side of it is going to be interesting. I have heard that this is in like, diary format and text messages - not the usual kind. I'm usually not for that but I am going to give it a shot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review!
    (Personally) I'm not a huge fan of contemporary but I really enjoyed this one. I also agree that some parts were unrealistic but overall the story was great and it's one of my favorites that I read last month.
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. fantastic review, rach! ive read so many good reviews about this book but yours is what stands out the most. this has been on my tbr list for ages but now i will buy it as soon as i go to the bookstore :)

    Isha @ Two Sisters Bloggin

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the second positive review I've seen of this in the past 10minutes! I think I need to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book was such a breath of fresh air, from the lovely writing to the relatively drama free romantic relationship. I did find some plot points quite farfetched, but overall the book was so charming that I just let it pass. I would love to read more of Nicola Yoon's work in the future and wish her every success.

    Aentee at Read at Midnight

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review! I'm not sure if I'll enjoy this book or not - although I've heard so many great reviews, I'm not a massive fan of Contemporary Romance, especially ones that focus on mental illness. Though so many people love it, so maybe I'll give it a go!

    ~ Denise @ The Bibliolater

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you enjoyed this one, Rachel! I "only" gave it 4 stars but it's still one of my favorite books of this year. Every single part of the novel was so well-written and emotional. I found myself tearing up at more than one parts. Maddy and Olly's relationship was the cutest thing EVER. Seriously, I'm already excited to re-read the book - that's how much I loved every part of it. And you're right, the cover is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS.
    Lovely review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review! I ADORE this book. SO GOOD

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you liked this one! :D I...didn't have a good time with it, buuut I liked the diversity (omg, such awesomeness there) and I loved how quick it was to read and Oliver was a million percent adorable. *happy sigh* I do think some of the ending was a biiiit unrealistic. Like even when she escaped to Hawaii and visited her old nurse, at that point, her nurse didn't know The Truth About Her Illness, right?! But she STILL was like "yeah go live! go die!". I thought that was terrible. 0_0

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just read that book and I did love the character of Maddy and I thought the writing was beautiful. But the ending kind of ruined it for me. I did predict it and also, I thought it was kind of a cop out on the part of the author.

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)