ARC Review ~ Six of Crows

Author: Leigh Bardugo
Series: The Dregs #1
Genre: YA Fantasy
Page Length: 480 Pages
Publication Date: September 29th, 2015
Publisher: Henry Holt
Source: ARC via Andye (Thanks dear <3)
Goodreads | Amazon

Game of Thrones meets Ocean's Eleven in this brand-new book in the world of the Grisha by New York Times-bestselling author Leigh Bardugo.
Ketterdam: a bustling hub of international trade where anything can be had for the right price—and no one knows that better than criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker. Kaz is offered a chance at a deadly heist that could make him rich beyond his wildest dreams. But he can't pull it off alone...

A convict with a thirst for revenge.
A sharpshooter who can't walk away from a wager.
A runaway with a privileged past.
A spy known as the Wraith.
A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums.
A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes.

Six dangerous outcasts. One impossible heist. Kaz's crew is the only thing that might stand between the world and destruction—if they don't kill each other first.
I've had a hesitant relationship with Leigh Bardugo's books. She's imaginative and created an amazing fantasy Grisha-verse. Her ideas and concepts are spectacular as is her writing. What I didn't like is where she took the Shadow and Bone series. I was excited for Six of Crows nonetheless because how could you not be after reading that glorious synopsis?? I should have had no worries at all though because Leigh slayed this book and made me instantly fall in love with the plot and the characters of Six of Crows. 

Although this book is a fantasy novel, its core plot is pretty thriller based. Gang leader Kaz Brekker is hired to pull off an impossible heist that if failed could change the Grisha world for the worse. Recruit a team of five misfits, Kaz and crew go to do the unimaginable, break into the highly secured Fjerdan Ice Court, where anyone who invades never comes out. 

"And yet, they hesitated. The knowledge that they might never see each other again, that some of them-maybe all of them-might not survive this night hung heavy in the air. A gambler, a convict, a wayward son, a lost Grisha, a Suli girl who had become a killer, a boy from the Barrel who had become something worse."

Told in alternating points of view, we learn so much about these six characters. They all are emotionally scarred in some way, and you can't help but love them. They're so descriptive and have such fascinating backstories. By the end of the book we really have a firm grasp on their personalities, their desires, and their flaws. The relationships among them are so complicated and tangled. This book is romance-lite although there is a lot of longing from our characters. I see possibly three ships, and I ship them all!! I loved the banter among them and the dynamic of the group all around was great. Kaz is the brilliant mastermind behind everything. He's tough and harsh, yet he has a sweeter side underneath it all that he refuses to let out. Inej is deadly and her interesting beliefs and tenacity make her such an admirable character. Jesper is pretty fun, and Wylan's innocence makes me smile. The more serious of the group, Mathias keeps everyone grounded while Nina is the care-free one. 

The criminal aspect of this book gives it a smart edge. It's fascinating seeing these people think five steps ahead and have backup plans for the backups. It was amazing to see how the gang life works in Kerch. There are plot twists all over the book. We're left reeling time and time again. Leigh writes such a complex novel, with little details kept hidden until BAM it all makes sense. There are so many little parts that she weaves together, so much is happening at once. Her plot devices and writing techniques are astounding. Her writing has an edge to it that beguiles readers from cover to cover. 

I also loved the references to Alina and Prince Nikolai. We learn a little about how life has changed since the events of Ruin and Rising. There are also references to some other people we know from the Shadow and Bone series. I foresee a possible trip to Ravka in the future...This book was chock-full of heart-racing moments. Non-stop action, anticipation, and suspense meets us at every page. There was also lots of humor in this book! It's dry humor, and it's pretty hilarious. 

"Kaz leaned back.   'What's the easiest way to steal a man's wallet?' 
'Knife to the throat?' asked Inej. 
'Gun to the back?' said Jesper. 
'Poison in his cup?' suggested Nina. 
'You're all horrible,' said Matthias."

A smart and thrilling novel that readers will definitely eat up, I can imagine this book going far and achieving high praise.
Rachel is a teenaged unapologetic fangirl and perfectionist.

She loves reading for the escape it gives from reality and enjoys crying over books, swooning over characters, and laughing out loud over funny lines. She is a semi-recovering Netflix addict and a middle child of three.

You can find her on Twitter @yaperfectionist & Goodreads.

19 comments:

  1. I've read SO many mixed reviews on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO SO SO EXCITED for this book! I've never read Leigh Bardugo so this will be my first book by her and I am so thrilled you loved it! I especially love the last quote...so cute :) I'm finding myself wanting to read thrillers A LOT these days...and Six Of Crows will be great for that urge. My friends on Twitter told me I don't have to read the Grisha series for these books...but I'm think I will. I don't want to be left out at all ;P

    Great review, Rachel, you always manage to get me excited for books :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely adored this one and the moment my preorder arrives home I have every intention to re-read and enjoy it again!
    Great review Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited for this book! I already own it in paperback because my library had early copies, but I'm waiting closer to realease date to start it. I really enjoyed the Grisha trilogy, I'm pretty confident I'll love this one. I might *fingers crossed* go to a signing to meet Leigh, I really hope it will be possible. I'm glad you loved this book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am currently reading this book and loving it! Leigh has outdone herself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Six POVs, AM I READY FOR THIS??

    While I ADORED Shadow and Bone (the idea, the characters, the writing, and the world), I agree with you. I wasn't the biggest fan of the ending. Pros because I was all about The Darkling. Still bitter about that.

    I'm a bit curious to see how she dabbles in the Shadow and Bone characters into this series. I'm also a bit hesitant. For some reason, I hate crossovers.

    Regardless, I'm sure I will love and adore this new series. I LOVE strong characters!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Rachel, you are torturing me with Six of Crows XD! The release date is so close yet SO FAR!!!
    I am so glad to hear (well technically, read, but you know) that you enjoyed this book! I've pretty much heard mixed reactions.Leigh Bardugo, like you said is creative but I had a hard time getting into her books (SADLY D:). I have yet to finish the Grisha books because I ADORE the prologue but Alina and Mal really irritated me... I really can't stand Mal :(

    The characters all sound so interesting :D! Can't wait to read this!
    That last quote made me laugh out loud XD, haha oh Matthias...

    Have a wonderful day ^_^! (and nice review :D!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh awesome!! I have heard tons of great things about this one and pretty much every review has me overly excited for this one!!! I cannot wait to read it!! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved that you loved this! I had similarly warm, fuzzy feelings towards it. Kaz is such a badass and I want to squeeze him, and Leigh is a mastermind plotter. She shocked me at so many points with her twists and with Kaz's brilliant plans.

    Also we should discuss the Shadow and Bone series. I'd be interested to hear why you weren't crazy about the final arc.

    Nice review, as always!

    C.J.
    Sarcasm & Lemons

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just heard about this book on another blog. I am so happy to read your review and to hear that you enjoyed it so much too. Sounds great! I will have to get my hand on it. Thanks for sharing!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm such a slacker girl it's so not even funny. I wish I had the time these days to sit down and read but sadly I have homework, wtiring and lifey things. This one looks spectacular and you're right it has received so much praise and will continue to receive it. I'm just not big on all the POVS.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never read a Bardugo book but I SO BADLY WANT TO! This sounds amazing and the characters seem so complex, so I can't wait to read it! *_* Great review! <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic review, Rach!! I'm glad you loved the book! Even though I'm only just starting the Grisha trilogy right now, I am really looking forward to this one and can't wait to get my hands on a copy since it looks so amazing and I've heard such great things about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so glad that even though you are often hesitant that this one turned out to be such a wonderful read for you! I just love the idea of the point of view switching being done so well and getting so much insight to all those characters. It makes me want to try this one right now! I love the sound of it referring to the Grishaverse as well even though it is showing a different side of the world. Sounds like perfection <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. Certainly looks like my kinda book! I so wanted to read this when I first laid my eyes on it, but I wasn't really sure of how it would be. Your review just convinced me to give it a try. The characters and the plot seem awesome, and contrary to popular preference, I tend to like different POVs, so I'm sure I'd love this! Great review, Rach!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a book that's received a lot of hype, so it's great to see that you loved it Rachel! I can't wait to get my hands on it myself since I'm really going through another YA fantasy-loving phase after reading so many contemporaries lately. I love a good thriller as well, so this looks perfect. Thanks for sharing a wonderful review :)

    Eugenia @ Genie In A Book

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm happy to see another 5-star review!! I did attempt reading this one a few weeks ago, but it was really dragging and I just honestly wasn't in the mood for it at the time. I was around page 100 when I put it down. I did receive my finished copy today in the mail (yay!!) and I WILL give it another go. I just want to make sure I'm in the mood for this story so I can fully appreciate it. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The characters are the main thing attractin me to this series! Emotionally scarred characters with tangled relationships are always so interesting to explore. That quote was hilarious, I can't wait to read the banter :D I didn't like how the Shadow and Bone series ended too so I hope this series doesn't go off-kilter either.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I did love the first two books of the Shadow and Bone series but haven't read the last one since I was spoiled. I think I'll skip that one altogether and just read this. I've been hearing so much good things about this one -- as soon as I'm off my book-buying ban, I will totally buy this! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)