How To Find Time To Blog


People always ask me how I find time to blog. Being a high school student who takes multiple APs, attempts to maintain a good GPA, does lots of extracurriculars, still tries to go to the gym a few times a week and possibly cook, and (if she's lucky) read, it's a wonder that I have time to blog.

Here's the thing. We are all busy people! One important aspect to building a blog is to post consistently, and therefore you must make time to blog. There's no rule like "hey you must blog every. single. day." Nor is there one that says "you can only blog every three days." 

In the summer I don't have much going on. I like to relax and read and enjoy my time free of most stresses. In the summertime I usually blog three times a day. What do I mean when I say I 'blog' three times a day? What does this blogging entail? It can be anything.

Blogging:
-Commenting Back
-Reading Posts
-Sending/Replying to Emails
-Reading posts
-Writing posts
-Doing blog upkeep
-Coding/Design

How To Find Time To Blog


Figure out when you blog best. I like to blog when I'm comfy and relaxed yet still alert. My most productive blogging times are early in the morning and right after lunch time. I just get things done faster! 

Be efficient. As I said before, no one has unlimited free time! Make sure you're being productive, so you can do more in less time.

Limit distractions. *cough* NETFLIX *cough* Twitter, Instagram, phone, Snapchat, TV... None of that works for me! I can listen to music, but that's about it. 

If you get stuck with one aspect of blogging and it's just not working out at the moment, switch to another blogging aspect. Sometimes I'll be in the middle of writing a post and then not know where to take it. Take a break and try something else like commenting back! 

During the school year, it's so hard to find time to blog. Usually I spend weekends writing blog posts and if I get a chance to blog during the week, it's usually sending emails or commenting back on blogs if that...

Seize the opportunities. If I'm watching mindless tv shows I like, I'll take out my laptop and try to do some blogging. If I finish homework early, I'll try to write up a review or another post. If we're traveling somewhere (another country, to a faraway friend's house, the grocery store...), I'll bring a book! Reading books is another important part of blogging. If I'm stuck at the doctor's office, I'll write up some posts on my phone to copy over to my site later. 

Basically you have to grab the time whenever you can and whenever you want to. Once you get into a rhythm, it's easier and more efficient to slide into your blogging groove.

How do you find time to blog?
Rachel is a teenaged unapologetic fangirl and perfectionist.

She loves reading for the escape it gives from reality and enjoys crying over books, swooning over characters, and laughing out loud over funny lines. She is a semi-recovering Netflix addict and a middle child of three.

You can find her on Twitter @yaperfectionist & Goodreads.

18 comments:

  1. Great post, Rachel!!!! I definitely have problems with distractions, but I have made an in-depth schedule for myself to try and keep on track, so hopefully it will help. I think your tip on switching blog aspects when you're stuck is a great idea! I hadn't thought of that, but I do seem to set aside types of blog posts when I'm stuck (so if I get stuck on a discussion or review I might write up a few memes for the week to come or do a tag or something). As a new blogger who is about to resume classes, this post was extremely helpful. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always have a lot to do besides blog but sometimes I just can't avoid being LAZY. haha. And there are times when I start making a post but will continue it later or another day or the day after that. When I don't feel like making any posts I usually go visit other people's blogs and leave comments :) Oh, and the note app on my phone is my lifesaver. It's where I put all the blog reminders and ideas I have when I don't have my laptop.

    Haraiah @ Random Things In Action

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post contains so much wonderful advice and it's so on point! You definitely don't need to blog everyday and finding time to fit it in whenever you can is definitely the key to blogging long term. I think replying to comments on the go, etc. Works out for me. Lovely post Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel, thank you so much for this post! As you know, school's just started for me, and it has been such a struggle to keep up with schoolwork alone, (much less blogging). I've been trying my best to catch up with my blogging duties & fun over the weekend, but there just NEVER seems to be a deficit of homework. Haha. Thanks for the valuable advice!

    Julia Anne @ Peach Print

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh Rach, I actually just posted How to Maintain Your Blog on my blog LOL with school starting soon *cries* Fantastic advice!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blogging IS my free time. It's like any hobby; you do it because you like it. Although, I can't say I'm juggling life well right now. I pretty much abandoned some critical studying for blogging tonight :/ By the way, sorry this is off topic but you like Throne of Glass right? Okay, so I'm reading Queen of Shadows right now and WHAT IS HAPPENING WITH CHAOL AND CELAENA/AELIN (or whatever)!? WHY IS SARAH J MAAS DOING THIS?

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a fantastic post, Rachel! I start school tomorrow and I know last year I struggled with trying to blog, do homework, and all my other hobbies so this is really helpful. Thank you for the advice, I'll definitely be using it from now on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Netflix is a huge distraction for me but I also find that my Instagram takes up more time in my day than anything else. I take an hour just to take a picture, edit, then figure out what I'm going to write for the caption. It's crazy! I will definitely start commenting when I feel that blogging is tiring. Thanks for these great tips!

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have very little free time too, as I am working a LOT, so I try to get reading done at night before bed or in the morning if I have a day off. When I'm at work, I cannot do anything on laptop. I'm a hairdresser so I'm usually busy with customers, but I always try to write a few thoughts about the book I'm currently reading if I have a few minutes. Sadly, I have a lot of stuff to do outside work and blogging. I try to blog frequently, but I really need to be in the mood, and sometimes after a busy workday, the least I want is to turn on my laptop. So now it's a miracle that I written a lot of reviews these past few weeks.

    I don't think I've ever commented on here but I read your posts as often as I can and love them so much.

    Nicole
    Books and Starlight

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tips Rachel! I'm a freshman in high school this year and I've been worried that with AP classes and extracurricular activities that I'm going to have a bit of a hard time giving as much commitment to blogging in the next few years. But I'm definitely going to have to keep these wonderful tips in mind - they sound like they will be extremely helpful. Thanks for sharing this fabulous post! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these tips Rachel! I also adore what you did to your design. It's super pretty!

    I agree with all of them and you actually gave me advice and I'll stick to them. You know you're learning everyday and I still have yet to learn A LOT. It's always hard to keep the distractions away from you while you're doing something as important/fun as blogging. I always find that whenever I start blogging I don't want to stop and I reply to comments and comment back on other people's blog and keep up with my posts on bloglovin. It's an addiction once you get indulged in it. I don't know I always find it hard to take the first step and do something hahaha am I the only one? :)

    anyways I babble a lot hahaha, great post, as usual!♥

    Jumana @ Books by Jay

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dude, I have no idea. I'd say that blogging is what I do with ALL my free time, but that isn't even adequate- I don't actually HAVE free time, and I blog when I should be sleeping so... yeah, it's a mess. Like, I LOVE doing it, and I don't want to stop, but I also feel like one day I am probably going to collapse from exhaustion or something. So I try to get the distractions out of the way while doing something else. Like, Twitter while the kids are busy for five seconds, or respond to emails while making dinner. It's a mess, I tell you! A mess! I need professional help- is there like some kind of person that could come and clean and babysit so I could blog? Can we MAKE that a thing? Let's! :)
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have recently made the huge discovery that if I log out of my instagram/snapchat/twitter on my phone, I'm way too lazy to type in my password again so I don't bother- it's a great way of limiting distractions haha! I'm all for scheduling and getting a few posts ready for the week ahead but as a newbie blogger I end up spending most of my time finding new blogs and leaving comments etc. I wish blogging was accepted as a worthwhile and important hobby in the minds of teachers so I could be all "sorry but I'm not going to be able to hand this in tomorrow, I have no post for tomorrow and I haven't checked my emails for a week" :D

    eliza xx

    www.lipglossandpaperbacks.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yep, I know what you mean. High school here and I realised I just entered into one of my hardest years... so I am struggling to find the time amongst the extra things I do as well. I am someone who hates having unproductive days though and hates procrastination - which is really helpful because I try to optimise my time! I blog best in the evenings and I read whenever I can slip in time, which is sadly less than it was before school started. I am hoping to take best advantage of those weekends though :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good post :)
    I can definitely agree that summer is also the best time for me to basically do all the blogging I wanted to do throughout the school year. (I'm writing this whilst taking a break from reading my Sociology text) heehee

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah yes, this is perfect! I usually like to schedule all my posts during the weekends so that I have time for college, studying, reading and gym during the week. When am I most productive? In the evenings. Summers are the best because while I binge watch my favorite shows, I also get to binge read and binge blog. Yes, that's totally a thing. I have an hour and a halfs' worth commute everyday, so that's great to read on my Kindle and jot down reviews or ideas for discussion posts.

    Rhea @ Rhea's Neon Journal

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a great post; thank you so much for writing it! I really want to be able to incorporate blogging in my normal life but have good grades as well! Usually, I try to blog whenever I finish my homework or if I'm just sitting around (but that's not often). I really need to limit my distractions as well!

    Alice @ Arctic Books

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is awesome tip, thanks for your sharing to all together.
    Regard - Blog Tutorial Supporter

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)