Review: Antigoddess

Author: Kendare Blake
Genre: YA Urban Fantasy, Greek Mythology
Page Length: 333
Publication Date: September 10th 2013
Publisher: Tor Teen
Source: Bought
Goodreads
Old Gods never die…

Or so Athena thought. But then the feathers started sprouting beneath her skin, invading her lungs like a strange cancer, and Hermes showed up with a fever eating away his flesh. So much for living a quiet eternity in perpetual health.

Desperately seeking the cause of their slow, miserable deaths, Athena and Hermes travel the world, gathering allies and discovering enemies both new and old. Their search leads them to Cassandra—an ordinary girl who was once an extraordinary prophetess, protected and loved by a god.

These days, Cassandra doesn’t involve herself in the business of gods—in fact, she doesn’t even know they exist. But she could be the key in a war that is only just beginning.

Because Hera, the queen of the gods, has aligned herself with other of the ancient Olympians, who are killing off rivals in an attempt to prolong their own lives. But these anti-gods have become corrupted in their desperation to survive, horrific caricatures of their former glory. Athena will need every advantage she can get, because immortals don’t just flicker out.

Every one of them dies in their own way. Some choke on feathers. Others become monsters. All of them rage against their last breath.

The Goddess War is about to begin.

War is not something new for the Greek Gods and Goddesses, but this time, they might lose something that makes them who they are - their immortality. Desperate to find answers and to find a cure, Athena and Hermes set out, and go on to travel the world while recruiting allies and enemies at the same time. Meanwhile, oblivious to all of this is Cassandra - a typical high school teenager with a loving boyfriend, great family and friends, the only thing that's different about her is that she gets frequent visions if the future, which is exactly what entangles her in the Gods' quests for answers, vengeance and victory.

I really loved Antigoddess! I adore Kendare Blake's Anna series, and was satisfied to see that everything that made Anna a terrific book, was also present in this book as well. Wonderful, descriptive writing, kick ass characters and an interesting connection to the Trojan war, made Antigoddess an intriguing and glorious read!

Antigoddess is based on the myth of the Trojan War. Especially around the prophecies and feuds between the Gods which the war caused. But even if you don't know anything about the war, there won't be a single problem, because Kendare fills in the reader on everything you need to know about the myth, with a stable backstory and explanation which she does without info dumping.

Kendare's writing is beautiful! Her words are gorgeous in a blood thirsty and brutal way, and I loved it! She doesn't shy away from describing violence or explaining the cruel actions of the characters. Even though this book wasn't as bloody and scary as Anna Dressed in Blood, it was still quite a dark take on greek mythology!

There were quite a couple of main characters. First we have Athena, who is an epitome of a kick ass rebellious teen in this book. She was so cool and badass, and if possible I loved her even more after reading Antigoddess, and she was already my favourite Greek Goddess to tell the truth! Hermes was a great travel companion, a good friend and I liked him a lot as a character!

Cassandra was not that remarkable to start with, but I really liked her transition. She had a wonderful character growth in the story, and she grew into her power and destiny which I appreciated quite a lot. Aiden - spoiler who was the reincarnation of Apollo was.... okay I guess. I really adored their romance though, which had enough angst to keep me hooked.

Antigoddess is really action paced and there was never a dull moment in the book. Plus, it was really intriguing to see the mighty gods act all vulnerable all of a sudden - frustrated with their weakness, disturbed by their lack of hope and determined to get back their former glory. It was an interesting spectacle, and I loved the way Blake handled it.

Overall, Antigoddess is perfect for any fan of Greek mythology, also I'd recommend it to readers who love brutal, action paced, fantasy which doesn't shy away from violence. Kendare Blake proves herself again in this glorious book and I can't wait to see what she has in store for us in the sequels.

Mishma is a 16 year old teenager from Sri Lanka who's always loved books and talking about them. She often comes off as a loud, outgoing, funny, hyperactive and happy go lucky girl! Her addictions include books, Twitter and Buzzfeed and she has an unapologetic love for classic old movies with uncensored violence and villains with a vulnerable side.

You can find her at her own blogTwitterInstagram. She loves making friends, so stop by to say a hi!

30 comments:

  1. I read this one when it was first released and ADORED it. Like you said, the writing was beautiful, the characters were engaging and that surprise! I need to finish this one (but I also need a refresher on what happened in this book)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard that the third book was just released! I can't wait to read the sequels! Kendare's writing is addictive!

      Delete
  2. Ooo, sounds like a phenomenal read! I'll be adding Antigoddess to my reading wishlist. Thanks for the nicely written review. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a greek mythology fan but I feel like I might like this one. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it, if you get a chance to read it! Thank you!

      Delete
  4. I loooove Greek mythology so I really must get to this one... I'm not sure how I missed that Kendare Blake brought out another book, but I did so thanks for reviewing this! I've added it to my tbr and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Antigoddess is really underrated! I wish people noticed this book more! I hope you enjoy it Lara!

      Delete
  5. I really liked Kendare's Anna series too, and plus, I love greek mythology, so of course I was excited for this book. I am glad to see it did not disappoint. Great review!

    Vane at Books With Chemistry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Anna! The books gave me nightmares! I hope you enjoy the book if you get a chance to read it!:)
      Thank you!:)

      Delete
  6. I think that I definetly need to pick this one up. I am kinda of obsessed with mythology so I am sad that I have overlooked it! Great review lovely!
    ❤️ Britt @ PleaseFeedTheBookworm.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love mythology, then you'll definitely enjoy this one!
      Thank you!:)

      Delete
  7. I recently picked this book up because I'm a big fan of greek mythology and already love Kendare Blake's writing (the Anna series is one of my favourites) so now I'm even more excited to start reading! Great review

    Most recent post on Enchanted by YA: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.com/2015/09/announcement-etsy-shop.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love it! Kendare's writing is glorious! I want read more from her!!!

      Thank you!:)

      Delete
  8. Mishhmmaaaa you've just introduced me to a new series that I KNOW I'm going to love! (Once I get past the fact that it's going to kinda remind me of Percy Jackson) teehee I love the action and the characters sound awesome. I only wish there was more of a romance because I love me some of that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSSSS!!!! I hope you love the book Keionda! And don't worry, there's some sexual tension present in there which will compensate the lack of romance!

      Delete
  9. LOVE THIS! You are making me really regret the fact that I have left this book sitting on my shelf for years now without ever having read it. I NEED TO ASAP!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't quite like this one as much as you did Mishma (I blame that on how high my expectations for Greek mythology retellings have gotten after reading Percy Jackson), but I still thought it was an incredible and gory retelling of the Trojan War. Thanks for sharing this and, as always, fabulous review! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that makes me sad! ;( But then, I haven't read Percy Jackson, so I can't understand your feelings in that area!:)
      Thanks love!:)

      Delete
  11. This is definitely a book that has completely flew under my radar, and now that I've read your review, I really need to read this asap! I'm a huge fan of greek mythology, like a huge fan, so I'm definitely picking this up. Nice review mishma :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to hear that! Antigoddess is really underrated, and I wish it got more attention! I hope you like it!
      Thank you!:)

      Delete
  12. I have a copy of this one! With the original cover and everything (I love the original design more, waaahhh). I'm not sure I'll ever read it (at this point, it's just another series I have to start!), but I'm glad you loved it! Soooo happy there are no boring moments, I don't have time for dull! :D

    Lovely review, Mishma!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I get what you mean! I always hesitate to start series! Unless I have all the books in hand, and the time to spare as well!

      Thank you Alyssa!

      Delete
  13. I really loved Anna Dressed in Blood too, so I was excited when I started reading this and was glad I loved it too! Antigoddess was just so much fun, but so brutal too. Who knew the Gods and Goddesses could DIE? The mythology was great, but the characters were definitely the best part. I loved Athena especially, so kickass. And Hermes was awesome too. It's been so long since I've read this book, and I don't remember much about it, so I will need a reread before finishing the series, I think.

    Great review, Mishma! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Anna Dressed in Blood as well! Have you read the sequel? It's even more awesome!
      The characters were fabulous! Athena won the game for sure! I also adored the tension between her and Odysseus.

      Thanks Holly!:)

      Delete
  14. Oh! I have this on my Nook, but I haven't gotten to it yet. I haven't read Kendare's other books, but I'm really excited to read this because Greek mythology! Glad to know you liked it, Mishma!

    Julie @ Books and Insomnia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. READ IT!!! :D Kendare's books are fabulous! She has a great writing style, and her books are really dark and awesome.

      Delete
  15. Oh wow, this definitely this does sound like a unique book. How comes I have never heard of this one before? I am CRAZY about Greek Mythology so I just know I am going to love this once I do dive in and start reading. I love the sound of a brilliant writing style and nice characters to go with it. On my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really underrated and that's sad! Antigoddess deserves much more praise! I love Greek mythology too! The stories are super intriguing, aren't they?

      Delete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)