A Letter To My Newbie Blogger Self




Dear Rachel of February 28th, 2014,

Welcome to blogging! I know this is a total spur-of-the-moment decision, as you had to create a blog for Biology about cells and that prompted you to make a book blog. As I am you 1.667 years later, I think I should share some blogging wisdom with you that will make your first forays into blogging much smoother.


1. Comment on blogs!! I remember freaking out when someone commented on our blog in the beginning. Are they judging us? What if they say something mean?! What if they hate our posts? Everyone is so friendly, that won't even be a problem! You'll meet so many awesome people who you now call friends. :)

2. Post often. Don't sporadically post a few times a month when you remember to. Stick to a schedule (2 posts a week, etc...). Get into a rhythm!

3. Stop doing all those memes!! Maybe Top Ten Tuesday once in a while and Waiting on Wednesday when necessary, but refrain from becoming a meme-obsessed blog.

4. Don't use so many gifs in your reviews. The gif-to-word ratio should be really low if present at all.

5. Schedule posts in advance!! No more late-night writing for you. You don't need more stress on top of school....

6. Get a nice blog design early on! Blog design is the first thing people look at. Make sure our's is clean and easy to navigate through.

7. Get a Twitter account and use it. It's a great way to meet bloggers, authors, and other readers. You can also generate traffic to your blog through it.

8. Use bloglovin' over GFC as a follower method. GFC is archaic and might be on the oust soon.

9. Cross-post all of our reviews to Goodreads, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble. It helps publishers a lot!

10. Only request ARCs you know you'll have the time to read. Don't overload

I hope you'll take my advice into consideration.

Yours truly,




Rachel is a teenaged unapologetic fangirl and perfectionist.

She loves reading for the escape it gives from reality and enjoys crying over books, swooning over characters, and laughing out loud over funny lines. She is a semi-recovering Netflix addict and a middle child of three.

You can find her on Twitter @yaperfectionist & Goodreads.

17 comments:

  1. Ha! Yes, so many of these I'd go back and tell Newbie Kristen too. I also created my blog out of the blue. I came up with the name one night, purchased the domain and started My Friends Are Fiction. I had very little thought involved. I think it's all worked out fairly well though :-) I am STILL bad at cross posting my reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post and it's so funny. I just started blogging recently and already I can tell I had no idea what I'm doing. I still don't, but it's fun! That's what counts. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is pretty FANTASTIC wisdom!! Though I'm one of those people that LOVES TTT and WoW, I can totally understand why others don't. So I still stand behind that advice. :) This is a fantastic post for the newbie bloggers - one they can definitely learn a thing or two from. I definitely agree with finding a nice design... it completely sets the tone for your blog at first sight! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ALL OF THESE THINGS. RIP GFC )):

    Back in the day, I always over did it on memes. I think I did five memes a week. That got old really quick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If only I'd read this letter as a newbie blogger! My original schedule was atrocious! I posted twice a day every day for about a week and then abandoned my blog for months. Not the greatest start... Pleased to say that I've worked something out and that it works for me. And if only I knew to comment when I first started out! I'm still not very good at it now, but there's still time for me to improve. :)

    Charlotte @ Bookmarks and Blogging

    ReplyDelete
  6. My blog was so infested with many weekly memes. I love Stacking The Shelves but I only do them on the last Saturday of every month. And I rarely do WoW's anymore. I kind of want to start doing Top Ten Tuesdays but I don't want to overload on those either. My blog design was just horrible in the beginning. I'm really happy with how it is now!! <3 I wish I hadn't requested many arcs when I started. I think that's always a newbie problem especially if the blogger is young. I'm much better at controlling myself now lol. And I wish I didn't have GFC as a follow option but I don't want to get rid of it since I do have a following there :/ Thanks for the awesome post, Rachel. It's definitely on point!

    ~Karina @ A Reader Under The Sea

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great advice. Thank you! I'm super careful what memes I do... I do the ones that are the most efficient like Sunday Post and Stacking the Shelves that promote the books... by review and presence.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yup, agreeing to all of these. Especially the design part. I still cringe when I'm thinking about my first blog design ever. To me, it makes a huuuuuuge difference whether you use a nice professional design or a generic one. There might be a lot of super great blogs with generic designs, but I think the more unique your blog looks, the more people are going to remember you and not just see you as yet another book blog. There is so much competition, you just have to stand out.

    - Jen @ The Bookavid

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a newbie blogger and this is great advice! I have no schedule at the moment and need to comment more around the blogosphere, and am definitely going to work on those. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a fun post! I definitely know there are tons of things I would tell past Kaitlin about blogging. One of those things would definitely be using twitter. I used to use my twitter to just tweet out my posts but now that I have used it a lot it really brought attention to my blog but also has let me discover new blogs and make such great friends! Oh and I definitely know what you mean with the ARC thing. I used to get some many eARCS at one point and not really enjoy reading them! Now, I know to only get ARCs I would want to read hehe. Great post and thanks for sharing!

    ~Kaitlin @ Next Page Please!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for this post! Very insightful. I'm a new blogger and it can be pretty confusing trying to figure out if I'm doing everything right.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome advice! I would tell my newbie blogging self many of the same things. :) Scheduling posts is so helpful. I do it, but not enough. Still things to keep working on. Thanks for sharing!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome advice!! I learned the hard way about requesting too many ARCs. When I first started blogging, I would request everything that seemed remotely interesting. So not only did I become overloaded, but I ended up not liking a lot of the books I requested. Now I only request books that I am really excited about.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good advice XD! I wish I knew about all this stuff when I started blogging haha, seriously I have too many ebooks, and started with an ok design. But I love how your blog looks, the colors are beautiful :D!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was also a fan of memes in the beginning. I'm happy I've found a better balance now. I also love Bloglovin' more than GFC. I even used some other following methods and I wish I never started those. Getting used to Twitter; yes yes yes! I had an account from the beginning, but for one year I never interacted there and that's a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a great post! I think #3 and #8 would be the most important ones I would tell myself when I first started blogging. Mostly #3 because that was all I used to post D: Could have saved a lot of lost love if I used Bloglovin to begin with haha

    ReplyDelete
  17. Newbie Val knew NOTHING about anything hahah. I didn't even know about ARCs, or that there was an ACTUALLY COMMUNITY. So yeah.

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)