Blog Tour: A Madness So Discreet


I've been so intrigued by A Madness So Discreet since I first heard about it, so I was especially thrilled when Hannah of Irish Banana Book Tours allowed me to join the tour!

The Book:

Title: A Madness So Discreet
Author: Mindy McGinnis
Publication Date: October 6th, 2025
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Page Length: 384 pages
Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble | iBook | The Book Depository
Grace Mae knows madness.

She keeps it locked away, along with her voice, trapped deep inside a brilliant mind that cannot forget horrific family secrets. Those secrets, along with the bulge in her belly, land her in a Boston insane asylum.

When her voice returns in a burst of violence, Grace is banished to the dark cellars, where her mind is discovered by a visiting doctor who dabbles in the new study of criminal psychology. With her keen eyes and sharp memory, Grace will make the perfect assistant at crime scenes. Escaping from Boston to the safety of an ethical Ohio asylum, Grace finds friendship and hope, hints of a life she should have had. But gruesome nights bring Grace and the doctor into the circle of a killer who stalks young women. Grace, continuing to operate under the cloak of madness, must hunt a murderer while she confronts the demons in her own past.
This is my first Mindy McGinnis book, so I was a bit unsure as to what I should expect. I've heard glowing remarks about her previous two books, but I was not prepared for the pleasantly surprising (and haunting) A Madness So Discreet.

Mindy McGinnis's writing is beautiful for starters. It perfectly matches the tone of the novel and has a twisted elegance that captures the time period and situation so well. The writing carries the same bleak edge as Grace does yet has fancy airs and great sentence structures and inversions that will send lingophiles into a tizzy. I was oohing and aahing over the writing because it's just THAT good. It's hauntingly ethereal like the asylum.

The historical fiction aspects were well-researched, and the setting reflected the time period very well. The dialogue and surrounding ideas were all in tune too. The portrayal of asylums, mental health, and women were well executed. I warn you that there are some very disturbing scenes in parts of this novel.

My one critique is in regards to the characters. Sadly I didn't like them too much. They all seemed a bit dull and not very animated or interesting. At first the various insane asylum patients' banter and behavior around one another was enjoyable and funny, yet it was short-lived and thus lost some spark. That being said though, there's definitely a complexity to this novel that surrounds madness, especially Grace's. Grace is strong-willed and is highly witty. Both of these characteristics make her a great protagonist! The secondary characters pale in comparison.

This book is so spine-chillingly creepy in parts. Now is the ideal time to read it with Halloween right around the corner. The paranormal edges to this book are so fascinating and absorbing. This book sucks you in with horror after horror and whispers of eeriness quaking from the walls of the asylum. Eventually the plot evolves into solving Sherlock Holmes type mystery cases, and I really enjoyed it!

Filled with plot twists, gore, and chills A Madness So Discreet is one I'd recommend you give a try.


ABOUT MINDY McGINNIS:
Mindy McGinnis is a YA author who has worked in a high school library for thirteen years. Her debut, NOT A DROP TO DRINK, a post-apocalyptic survival story set in a world with very little freshwater, has been optioned for film my Stephanie Meyer's Fickle Fish Films. The companion novel, IN A HANDFUL OF DUST was released in 2014. Look for her Gothic historical thriller, A MADNESS SO DISCREET in October of 2015 from Katherine Tegen Books. Mindy is represented by Adriann Ranta of Wolf Literary.


Giveaway

One Winner Will Receive a Harper Teen Horror-themed prize pack!
(US Only)
a Rafflecopter giveaway

Schedule

Rachel is a teenaged unapologetic fangirl and perfectionist.

She loves reading for the escape it gives from reality and enjoys crying over books, swooning over characters, and laughing out loud over funny lines. She is a semi-recovering Netflix addict and a middle child of three.

You can find her on Twitter @yaperfectionist & Goodreads.

14 comments:

  1. Wonderful, wonderful review, Rach! :)) I thought similarly to you - everything was pretty fabulous apart from the characters! :/ I also hated Thornfellow, but that was just me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review!! I want to read this one for sure!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds really interesting, and the cover is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard nothing but great things about this one. I'm glad to hear that it's creepy in some places - makes me want to read it more!!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made me more insanely eager to read this than I thought could be!! Great review. I just love Gothic style novels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't usually reader thrillers, but this one has really caught my eye :). Hoping to read this sometime next month!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was my first book by this author before and like you, I was pretty happy after reading it. I did have a few issues with it, but for the most part it was a good thriller with a very creepy element to it as well. I learned some historical facts from it is as well that I didn't know before...

    Also, I tagged you in a book tag ^^ http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2015/10/fall-time-cozy-book-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually love Mindy McGinnis. Her Not a drop to drink duology was awesome. I can't wait to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually love Mindy McGinnis. Her Not a drop to drink duology was awesome. I can't wait to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read anything by this author either but I absolutely can't wait to read A Madness So Discreet. I'm a sucker for books (and movies) that take place in asylums but they mostly receiver mixed ratings. However, I've only encountered with positive reviews for this one and that makes me hopeful. Can't wait to read this novel! :) Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's great to see that you enjoyed this one Rachel! It's been on my radar for a while now and looks like just the sort of creepy book that packs a punch. Lovely review :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen this book everywhere and I really want to read it, it sounds amazing! I'm glad you mentioned that it's great for this time of the year with Halloween being so soon, I've been looking for books like that! :D Great review, thanks for sharing!

    Lipstick and Mocha

    ReplyDelete
  13. I seriously love this book! Dr. Thornhollow reminded me so much of Sherlock!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome review Rachel. Honestly DID NOT THINK THIS TOOK PLACE IN BOSTON. Yay, so proud for my city, for insane asylums. Wooo. Ok I am going to be honest I have never considered reading this until now. It sounds creepy, but hey it is Halloween! :)

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)