Horror Movie Tropes & Clichés


Nori @ Read Write Love started this wonderful Book Blogger Creativity Project where bloggers are put in groups and tasked with creating a feature or event. It also doubles as a blogger-mentoring service. Team Teal's project is a Halloween special!

Today I'm talking about the biggest horror movie tropes and clichés most of which make me roll my eyes. These protagonists and movie characters should know the signs by now!!


My Gripes and Critiques of Horror Movie Characters

Quite often fog crosses the road or surrounds a certain spooky location.
Fog is ominous, beware. DO NOT go into the fog.


First, don't go into the forest! You don't know your way around, and you can easily stumble.
Second, don't look back while running, just run faster! Faster. Faster. Go!

Do what the penguins do, just keep running! 

More Eye-Rolling Worthy Tropes & Clichés

-Main character is plagued with nightmares. 
-There is a haunted mansion, abandoned hospital, shack, cabin, etc... 
-A ghost/apparition becomes obsessed with the main characters.
-Deleted camera footage and/or old diary entries (haha like people still use those) are discovered. 

a Rafflecopter giveaway

10/22 – Elizabeth @ So Long and Thanks for all the Fish
10/23 – Lucy @ The Reading Emporium
10/24 – Maryam @ Once Upon a Story
10/25 – Melissa @ Live, Love, Read
10/26 – Bea @ Beatrice Learns to Read
10/27 – Nicole @ Nicole has read…
10/28 – Stephanie @ In Wonderland
10/29 - Nori @ Read Write Love
10/30 – Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books
10/31 – Stop by all our blogs to see our bookish Halloween costumes!

Also Penguin Reads has a #WickedReads Campaign going on! Are you in the mood for some scary Halloween reading? Check out these books!



Rachel is a teenaged unapologetic fangirl and perfectionist.

She loves reading for the escape it gives from reality and enjoys crying over books, swooning over characters, and laughing out loud over funny lines. She is a semi-recovering Netflix addict and a middle child of three.

You can find her on Twitter @yaperfectionist & Goodreads.

12 comments:

  1. Yeah, the forest! I never get why the characters always run to the forest. Like, dude, you're most likely to die in the forest and no one will ever find your body. Duh. If I ever find myself in a horror story, I'd probably scream at the top of my lungs and wake the whole town up.

    Julie @ Books and Insomnia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!! I'm so done with the same old tropes and cliches. Especially anything involving a cabin. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read that many scary books but I am hoping to read BLOOD AND SALT, A CURIOUS TALE OF THE IN-BETWEEN, and THE ACCIDENT SEASON soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any spooky books lately, but I devoured all of Stephen King's early books which I would classify as spooky and horrific.

    Bonnie Hilligoss
    bonnie(at)bonnieanddave(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, people moving into a haunted house is getting old. And then they stay in the house instead of leaving after finding out it's haunted. Haven't read much but I love Horns by Joe Hill. And I really like Slasher Girls & Monster Boys. Thanks for the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post! As for spooky reads I just usually stick with Stephan King

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't read spooky much anymore, but I loved Poe when I was younger!!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL @ the penguin GIF. Seriously gave me a good laugh there.

    The running into the forest is such an obvious one and it happens in almost every scary TV show/book/movie! AND THE DELETED CAMERA FOOTAGE. (camcorders and cassettes. really. because people are still seriously using those.) Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually don't really read spooky books. When I think about them, I think back to junior high when I read lots of Dean Koontz books! Those were intense!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man I always go back to Stephen King books for a nice scare.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes the running! EVERY SINGLE TIME the character looks back, they trip on something, fall, and then the monster (or whatever is chasing them) captures them! Why on earth do they feel the need to look back??

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pretty much anything from Stephen King!

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)