Food & Books

 I love books. But I also love food. My parents are huge foodies and since we travel a lot, I've had the chance to try and experience new cuisines and authentic foods. The diverse tastes are extraordinary and indescribable, and I still remember some of the best foods I've tried.

Some books also incorporate food culture into their books. The descriptions are mouth-watering, and I wish I could reach into the books and sample some of the delicious foods.



In The Wrath and the Dawn, Renée shares so many scrumptious descriptions of Persian cuisine, and it makes me crave kebobs and middle eastern food SO MUCH. A Court of Thorns and Roses and Throne of Glass both contain lots of delicious food as well! Celaena loves chocolate while Chaol loves his tureen of lamb stew. Feyre has dinners with Tamlin and Lucien with splendid dishes splayed out. The Russian-influenced fantasy world of Ravka in the Shadow and Bone series shares such unique meals and foods I've never even heard of. They sound amazing though. America from The Selection adores the pastries that the palace has to offer and spares no time during meals to devour and describe them.

These are the most memorable and amazing foods I can remember eating.

Beef Bourguignon in Paris, France


We were strolling around Paris late one night searching for a place to eat. We found an elegant and boisterous restaurant, and I ordered le boeuf bourguignon. The stew was amazing and the meat was so tender! There was one long tube of pasta wrapped around the edge of the plate with a cream sauce.

Thai Green Curry in Bangkok, Thailand


Once again, it was late and night and my family was wandering around looking for food. We'd just got in from a flight from Macau to there (Bangkok), so we were exhausted and really hungry. We went to a family-owned restaurant and all ordered various curries along with Pad Thai. The curries were so silky and smooth from the coconut milk, yet they had a kick from all the spices added. We ate there three times during our stay in Thailand.

Turkish Delight in Istanbul, Turkey


I don't recall much from our trip to Istanbul because it was over 10 years ago... I DO remember visiting the incredible Grand Bazaar and finding a Turkish delight store close by. Turkish delight doesn't taste the same anymore!!

Gnocchi Pesto in Portofino, Italy


I LOVE pasta. Pesto is probably my favorite type of pasta sauce. We went to a gorgeous, idyllic little fishing town next to the ocean called Portofino. The lovely restaurant we selected came highly recommended from Trip Advisor. The gnocchi was so soft and flavorful. It melts in your mouth. The pesto was creamy and light. I was in a food coma for so long.

Schnitzel and Spaetzle in Munich, Germany


I loved the fried thin Schnitzel I ate. It had some light wine sauce infused in the breading and it was heavenly. The spaetzle complemented the dish so well. Ahhh I loved it!!

Which books make you think of food? What are your favorite food dishes? What memorable dishes can you recall from the past?
Rachel is a teenaged unapologetic fangirl and perfectionist.

She loves reading for the escape it gives from reality and enjoys crying over books, swooning over characters, and laughing out loud over funny lines. She is a semi-recovering Netflix addict and a middle child of three.

You can find her on Twitter @yaperfectionist & Goodreads.

24 comments:

  1. I love books and food too! I enjoy it when they have lots of yummy sounding food in books lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You weren't kidding when you said your family travelled a lot! I would LOVE to try curry in Bangkok!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm. That all sounds so good! I wish I could go to some of the places you've been! One of my most memorable food moments is that one time I was in Montreal over Easter weekend and we had some incredible food at a restaurant co owned by Jamie Oliver. Another one is sharing this huge platter of broiled seafood with my family in La Boqueria in Barcelona. Wonderful post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm . . . now I am hungry. I love food and I LOVE books that have lots of food in it. I am not usually a fan of romance, but I really enjoy the Amour et Chocolat series by Laura Florand. Each book can be read as a stand alone and they all take place in Paris with chocolatiers. The descriptions of all the chocolate are drool worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and I live in Naples, Italy so all the food here is amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You traveled to so many places! I'm a bit envious of you.
    Reading in Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh boy, The Wrath and the Dawn!! It made crave food in the WORST/BEST WAY!! The food descriptions were just BRILLIANT!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woah I'm so jealous you've gone to so many places!!!!! I'm actually a very picky eater like I'm a mood reader so it would be hard for me to try all those kinds of foods. But the one that stands out to me is Gnocchi Pesto because I love pasta <3 <3

    ~Karina @ A Reader Under The Sea

    ReplyDelete
  9. Um, I'm in love with this post. Schnitzel is delish, especially when it's Cordon Bleu and there's ham and melted cheese inside. :D I'm also a HUGE pasta enthusiast, and I love curries, though I'd be a bit wary of ordering them in countries where my moderate tolerance for hot (as in spicey) dishes isn't the norm. :D I'm currently on chapter six of my NaNo book, and I have yet to write a chapter without food in it. I just can't help it apparently haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a unique post idea and I love it! Food and books are two things I love too;) Leigh Bardugo and Sarah Maas are especially amazing at describing food deliciously:D That gnocchi makes me so hungry:'(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stop making me so hungry! These dishes look delicious! I've read all of the books mentioned except for Shadow and Bone, and they all feature such fantastic cuisines. I want to read Shadow and Bone even more now! Thanks for sharing this, Rachel ♥

    ~Denise @ The Bibliolater

    ReplyDelete
  12. Schnitzel + Spätzle = <3 I know Germany isn't exactly famed for its fine cuisine, but I love German food! :D All these look great actually.. I love books with foody descriptions too - I remember reading The Star of Kazan by Eva Ibbotson and desperately wanting to go to Vienna because of all the descriptions of cakes :')

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember nothingggggg. I just eat food. And forget their names. I do love Schnitzel though!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness, I need to smuggle into your luggages the next time you go on holiday! I am positively salivating over here haha. I especially love Thai cuisine (anything with a lot of flavours and spices basically) so I can't wait to go to Thailand one day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. THIS POST HAS MADE ME SO HUNGRY. All that food looks amazing and I really want to try them now! I remember I was once invited to lunch and there were these pumpkin fritter thingies that were AMAZING and this time at my school when we made these stuffed peppers that was made using a recipe from Greece (I think?) and it was really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  16. now i am hungry. i love food in books but some get so descriptive i am always like, where can I get a recipe for that?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haha this post makes me ridiculously hungry. That gnocchi is making me salivate!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. YUM! Now I'm hungry. Those food look really delicious!

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am reading this before I start to make dinner and now I want all that amazing food instead of that silly meatloaf I was going to make!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. ARE YOU TRYING TO MAKE ME HUNGRY. omg one of the worst things is reading a book with such detailed descriptions of the food (*cough* Wrath *cough*) while you're hungry. It makes me want to stop reading so I can grab a snack.

    I'm a notoriously picky eater, so I'm pretty bad at trying new foods. I'M TRYING TO GET BETTER AT IT THOUGH. The dishes all look amazing, but I'm not so sure I'd eat some of them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh man!! This post is making me so hungry. I'm a huge food junkie so I love descriptions of food in book. It's one of the only things I enjoyed in The Wrath and the Dawn.
    Fun post, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, Rachel! You've been to so many places! This post has made me so hungry. I definitely want to try schnitzel and the boef bourguignon. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I AM SO HUNGRY NOW. Beef Bourguignon looks soo good to me and I just want to eat it through the screen. I don't know why they haven't invented a way for me to do this yet! But yes, some books make my mouth water and I love it. Also, just seeing the feast in the Harry Potter movies? I waaant ;.;

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)