Mockingjay Part 2 Movie Review!


Over the long Thanksgiving weekend, I went out to see the Hunger Games finale, Mockingjay Part 2, with my fellow book-loving, movie-going friend.  Here are all of my thoughts + review!


I read Suzanne Collins's famous trilogy way back when in middle school.  The Hunger Games was one of the books that first got me into the YA genre.  I devoured the entire book in one evening, and checked out the sequel early the next morning.

At first, I wasn't too invested in these movie adaptations, however, I quickly became immersed.  I don't believe Mockingjay Part 2 was my favorite of the four movies, but I enjoyed my viewing experience nonetheless.

Having read Mockingjay quite a number of years ago, certain plot points came as a complete surprise to me.  There were a couple of times that I actually jumped in my seat.  The action scenes (as always), were well done.  This is true entertainment.

The actors are fabulous.  I've always thought this cast was near perfect.  From Katniss Everdeen, the girl on fire, to Peeta Mellark, the boy with the bread, to my personal favorite, Finnick Odair, I thought all performed their roles well.

And let's just take a moment to appreciate the beauty that is Sam Claflin (Finnick Odair).

(Okay, back to the matter at hand . . .)

Despite the death and destruction going on in Panem, there are a number of truly beautiful scenes in here.  I wasn't quite moved, but I definitely felt something.

The movie creators were able to capture it all: love, loss, war, destruction, and then after the death and ashes . . . hope and rebuilding.

I'm sad I have to finally say goodbye to this series, but the ride was a great one.  The Hunger Games will forever be one of my favorite YA dystopian series.

If you haven't yet watched Mockingjay Part 2, I suggest you do.  If you have, let me know what you thought in the comments!



Julia's a dreamer. She often zones off periodically throughout the day thinking up plans for the future, pining over fictional characters, and concocting up possible plot lines for stories.

You can find Julia on her main blog, Peach Print, on Twitter @peachprint, on Instagram @yapeach, and of course, right here on the APCB blog.

17 comments:

  1. Loved this one as well! Even though I secretly hoped that the producers would find a way to keep the one who shall not be mentioned alive, ;-; ;-; ;-;, I'm really glad that they stayed true to the books. Glad you liked the movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaha 100% agree, Eli!!! They stuck a bit TOO well to the original storyline...

      Julia

      Delete
  2. Honestly, Mockingjay was my least favorite of the books, but (so far) I've enjoyed the movies more than the books so I'm sure I'll like this one too. Glad you enjoyed this, I'm so excited to watch it!

    ~Cari @ My Addiction: Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Cari! I quite enjoyed Mockingjay Part 2, so I hope you do as well. :-)

      Julia

      Delete
  3. Well, you know I love this movie ;) I actually plan to do an entire series recap as soon as I finish my Mockingjay reread, because I realized that I fangirl over this on the regular, but have never really explained WHY haha. I think this movie was my favorite. I feel like it was the truest to the books (even though they all were, this really captured the important moments), and the feels. I mean, of course it didn't move me in the same way as the books because we aren't in Katniss's head, but I think it did on a different level, because I knew this was the end, and it was sad.

    And I absolutely agree about the cast being perfect. I was always worried- with each movie's casting news, I held my breath- but it was flawless. I don't know how they did it, but WOW. Talk about spot on! Glad you liked it too!
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to that series recap, Shannon! I've forgotten some of the plot already, so I may just reread the series as well. Mockingjay Part 2 was definitely well done, but I personally love Catching Fire (who knows, maybe just because of Sam Claflin??). Haha! Anyways, thanks for the comment!

      Julia

      Delete
  4. Mockingjay was my least favourite, and I felt like the final movie dragged on in some scenes. Finnick was great of course (hehe), but I definitely think they shouldn't have split the two movies up. Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear Mockingjay didn't quite live up to your expectations! But yes -- at least Finnick was his wonderful self (as always). ;-)

      Julia

      Delete
  5. Finnick is beautiful;) I loved the movie so much and think the Mockingjay movies are my favorite:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yess, Finnick!! (MAJOR heart eyes.) Glad to hear you loved the movies! :-)

      Julia

      Delete
  6. My favorite movie of the trilogy will always be Catching Fire. And Sam Claflin *dreamy sigh* he's the perfect Finnick. I seriously cried when he died. It was so tragic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES x100! I personally loved Catching Fire. I don't know if it's plot or a certain beautiful tribute from District 4 . . . haha.

      Julia

      Delete
  7. I completely agree, I enjoy looking at Finnick. I loved the cast so much, but I admit Mockingjay wasn't my favourite in the book series so in the movie I felt the same as well. It was definitely still an enjoyable movie, but I think I would have preferred 2 movies lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm glad we all agree -- Finnick is just dang beautiful! I'm glad to hear you still ended up enjoying Mockingjay despite it not being your favorite.

      Julia

      Delete
  8. I just watched this in the cinema and I really enjoyed it. It has been a couple of years since I read the books, and during the movie I was kind of wondering if this really happened in the books or not. Like the oil or the sewers. Did this really happen? I have a feeling they might have been trying to put more action into the story, for the movies sake.
    It was still good though!

    Cucie @ Cucie Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, I honestly forgot some of what actually went down in the books. I'm pretty sure the oil/sewer scene was in there, though. The movie directors stayed true to the books. Glad to hear you enjoyed the movie, Cecilie!

      Julia

      Delete
  9. I loved this series so much and I am so sad it's over. I think they did a great job with the adaptation. This one wasn't my favorite either, but I still loved it. I jumped out of my chair at one point! Ha. My husband laughed at me.

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)