November Wrap-Up

Goodbye November, hello December!


I had a pretty good reading month! The Great Gatsby was kind of over-hyped and although Fitzgerald captured the zeitgeist so well, I didn't love it as much I'd hoped. A Study In Charlotte is an AMAZING 2016 debut to look forward to; it's definitely one of my favorite books of the year. The Skylight and Long Way Down were both exceptional series enders, but I think I liked LWD better. Lies About Truth was good yet not memorable... Consent and Come Back To Me were both highly addictive YA/NA romance novels, and I read them each in a day.

In My Life:

I'm still working on some college applications, and I can't wait to see where I go next year for college! I went to San Diego to visit family and celebrate Thanksgiving. I stuffed myself and probably ate my weight in mashed potatoes. Ahh the good times. While in San Diego I met up with Laura Tims, author of Please Don't Tell coming out May 24th from Harper Collins. She's so sweet and awesome! I also met Leigh Bardugo this month, and she said I looked just how she imagined Inej to look, so excuse me while I fangirl over that fact. I also discovered a new favorite movie, Midnight in Paris! It's such a great movie, I recommend you check it out. I picked up Gossip Girl (the tv show) again because my friend kept talking about it. Maybe I'll try Jessica Jones next...

November Reads:


I really enjoyed the two Rainbow Rowell books I read this month.  Fangirl and Carry On were both adorable reads.  I definitely want to reread them both when I have the time.  For school, I read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, and found it both humorous and enjoyable.  I also read the entire Infernal Devices series.  I liked the books, but I didn't love them.

In My Life:

I spent Thanksgiving with my grandparents, aunt, cousins, and immediate family.  I also went Black Friday shopping with my close friend.  Ala Moana (our largest mall) just opened a new wing, so it was fun checking out the new shops and eateries.  This new ice cream place called Nitrogenie had lines out the door and down the block!  And the bakery & cafe next door, Magnolia, had THE LONGEST, MOST RIDICULOUS wait time.  Still, I couldn't resist, and tried both places . . . I have no regrets.

Unfortunately, I just got off the long weekend, so it's back to paper after paper and reading assignments galore.  I have to say, I'm already looking forward to winter break!

On A Perfection Called Books:

Top Reviews - Between Us & The Moon | My Life Next Door
Miscellaneous - Food & Books | Stop Bashing YA | A Fictional World I'd Love To Rule | I'm Thankful For...
Guest Posts & Interviews - Top Ten 2015 YA Debuts That Haven't Been On Enough Top Ten Lists (Jenn Marie Thorne) | Interview with Stacey Lee

How was your November? What did you read? Anything awesome/special happen? How was your Thanksgiving?

16 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel,

    Out of all the books that you read, I only know and have read 'The Great Gatsby'. Overrate? Huh? Well, I am one of those readers who may have made this book over rated because I love it. It is one of my favorites :)
    And Midnight in Paris has been on my list for some time and I will try and check it out soon. I am watching 'Pretty Little Liars' like a maniac for some time. I find this show so annoying at times but I still continue to watch it...I don't know why? Gossip girl should be next for me I guess :D

    Hi Julia,

    I read Fangirl long time back and it is a very good read. I did not love it but yes I did enjoy it. I plan to read Carry On but not sure when. I tried reading this Infernal Devices series but I could not quite get into it and I left the first book midway.
    In Australia , there are Boxing Day sales so, I am waiting for the Boxing Day(26 December). I have just moved here so I am pretty excited to see how it is :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Great Gatsby is one of my favorite books of all time! I finished five graphic novels/books in November so I am happy. I won't be posting a November recap though. I would like to do November/December together.
    Good luck with college applications! The last year of high school is an exciting, but stressful time. :)
    Take care,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel it sounds like you had a wonderful reading month, especially with the author meetups and everything! I can't wait to read LWD, still have 2 more books to go until I reach that (I've been taking it slow with this series).

    Julia I've tried one of those nitrogen icecream places, they are just deliciously amazing! It sounds like you had a lovely long weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great month for both of you! I want to read Consent really bad. Glad to hear it was good and quick and addicting! Yay for Rainbow Rowell books!! I loved Fangirl and am waiting for Carry On from the library - can't wait!! Hope you have an amazing December!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck on those college applications, Rachel! I'm actually pretty limited on where I'm going, so I've only applied to one college thus far. I didn't like The Great Gatsby - too confusing for me and that was literally the first time I used SparkNotes (never thought I would).

    Julia, yay! I'm glad you really liked The Infernal Devices even if you didn't love it. At least it didn't go bad. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Storyspinner is a duology?? I just read Storyspinner and thought it was great! Sorry you didn't love The Great Gatsby as much Rachel!

    I hope December is full of ups for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You guys have read some awesome books. Rachel, I am so glad that you enjoyed A Study in Charlotte. I can't wait to read that one next year! Good luck on your college applications! Julia, I haven't read Carry On by Rainbow Rowell, but I have read both Fangirl and Eleanor and Park. I just love her books so much and can't wait to read some of her other books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow such great books. AND OMGGG The Infernal Devices. Rachel... Will Herondale... hehe. If I remember correctly, you're just as obsessed with him as I am.

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually never read The Great Gatsby but one of my teachers made us watch the movie in high school so I know the its and bits. Mostly. I THINK. Also I am glad to see you liked Come Back to Me! I read it last year and loved it. :)

    Also I am glad you liked The Infernal Devices series even if you didn't love them, Julia! It's been a while since I read the books but I remember loving books 1 & 2 and being disappointed by the last book :/

    Hope this month is full of many awesome books for the both of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rachel - I can't even remember reading The Great Gatsby (sadly), so I feel you on that. But I'm happy to hear you enjoyed A Study in Charlotte! I've been curious about that one. Good luck with the college applications!

    Julia - I still need to give The Infernal Devices a shot! Oh, and read Carry On. Good luck with the papers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like you both had a fantastic month in books!! <3 I'm so excited to read A Study in Charlotte, so I love how much you enjoyed it!! Also looking forward to reading Carry On asap. Enjoy your weekend, ladies!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you enjoyed A Study in Charlotte, it sounds so awesome! Can't wait to read it myself. I haven't read The Great Gatsby yet since the movie was kinda confusing for me, so I have no intention to read it :D

    Sorry you didn't love The Infernal Devices, Julia, but at least you still enjoyed it! It's actually one of my favorite fantasy (WILL!). I have yet to read Carry On, but planning to read it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am super excited to read A Study in Charlotte- your constant gushing has me intrigued! Good luck with all of your college applications! I know that you'll succeed no matter where you end up. <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. We don't celebrate Thanksgiving here, but I love to see all the posts about what people are thankful for. :) My November was... honestly, my memory is a sieve and I already forgot, but I'm sure it was good haha. Good luck with those applications, Rachel! And I LOVED Fangirl, Julia, and I like Carry On too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my God, Rachel! You should really start watching Jessica Jones hehehehe. And I see you've read The Skylighter. I'm quite scared to read it because I don't want the series to end. :(

    Julia: Ice cream places are the bomb! HEHE. And I hope you enjoyed Carry on :) I can't wait to read that book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I could easily eat my weight in mashed potatoes, something so simple but so good! Luckily I don't though because that would be terribly unhealthy.
    I am getting pretty excited for A Study In Charlotte because I keep hearing good things about it, heres hoping it doesn't suffer from the dreaded book hype.

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)