Blog Tour: Arrows


Author: Melissa Gorzelanczyk
Genre: YA Mythology
Page Length: 240 Pages
Publication Date: January 26th, 2016
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Source: eARC via Edelweiss
Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes and Noble | iBooks
A modern cupid story set in present-day Wisconsin combining the fantastical elements of Greek mythology with the contemporary drama of MTV's Teen Mom.

People don’t understand love. If they did, they’d get why dance prodigy Karma Clark just can’t say goodbye to her boyfriend, Danny. No matter what he says or does or how he hurts her, she can’t stay angry with him . . . and can’t stop loving him. But there’s a reason why Karma is helpless to break things off: she’s been shot with a love arrow. Aaryn, son of Cupid, was supposed to shoot both Karma and Danny but found out too late that the other arrow in his pack was useless. And with that, Karma’s life changed forever. One pregnancy confirmed. One ballet scholarship lost. And dream after dream tossed to the wind.

A clueless Karma doesn’t know that her toxic relationship is Aaryn’s fault . . . but he’s going to get a chance to make things right. He’s here to convince Danny to man up and be there for Karma. But what if this god from Mount Olympus finds himself falling in love with a beautiful dancer from Wisconsin who can never love him in return?

This fast-paced debut novel explores the internal & external conflicts of a girl who finds herself inexplicably drawn to a boy who seemingly doesn't reciprocate her feelings, touching on the issues of love, sex and responsibility, with a heroine struggling to control her destiny--perfect for fans of Katie McGarry's novels and MTV’s 16 and Pregnant.

Cupid must have struck me with an arrow because I fell for this book so quickly and devoured it in two sittings!

Aaryn is the son of Eros, the original cupid, and for Aaryn's final test before becoming a full cupid he must strike a couple with an arrow each to solidify their love. He accidentally only brings one arrow and doesn't realize his mistake until he has already shot out of the people, Karma. She ends up pregnant and in love with her slacker boyfriend Danny who doesn't return the same amount of adoration because he was never shot with an arrow too. One year later, after Olympus finds out Aaryn's mistake, he is forced to return and right his wrong. But as he tries to make Danny fall in love with Karma and be a better boyfriend, Aaryn starts to fall for Karma himself...

The premise of this book seems a bit silly, but it's so enthralling and adorably executed. Karma is a dance prodigy who puts her dreams on hold when she becomes pregnant. Now with a three-month old adorable baby girl Nell, Karma tries to balance school, motherhood, and her dream of dancing professionally. I really liked Karma as a character, but her constant forgiveness towards Danny for his mistakes annoyed me so much. Aaryn was thoughtful and perfect and the one voice of reason. I was rooting for him and Karma the entire time, and I love how their relationship builds.

Arrows does have a darker side and focuses on the toxic relationship between Danny and Karma. Danny is not a good person. He clearly only cares about himself and being in control. His jealousy and volatile nature were disgusting, and I was so frustrated with Karma for staying with him. Although she was shot through an Arrow and completely lovey dovey for him, this relationship rings true in reality for people who keep making excuses as their partner manipulates or walks all over them. I am so proud of the decisions Karma eventually makes in regards to this issue, and Melissa did a wonderful with the portrayal of this relationship.

This book is riddled with cuteness and is sure to make you grin. There are some scenes that will definitely pull at your heartstrings. I love the dance aspects strung into the story because we see Karma's personality shine through. The secondary characters didn't stand out much, but I especially liked Karma's tell-it-to-you-straight younger sister Leah and Karma's supportive best friend Peyton. The pacing of the story was perfect, and I absolutely love Melissa's engaging writing.

I did have a few qualms with this book though. I wish there was a bit more emphasis and development in Olympus and the God world. There was so much potential in that aspect and so much more I wanted to know. I felt at times like there were jumps in the story and explanations left out, especially in regards to the Olympus-related scenes.

The last few pages of the book had me on the edge of my seat, and I adore how the story ended. If you're looking for a fun and romantic contemporary with a dark edge on the side, I recommend you check this book out. And Valentine's Day is right around the corner, consider buying this one!

About the Author


Melissa Gorzelanczyk is a former magazine editor and columnist who believes love is everything. A dreamer for life, Melissa has been writing books since she was nine years old when she penned her first story about a beloved black horse. She is a member of the Class of 2k16, the SCBWI and The Sweet Sixteens. She lives in Green Bay, Wisconsin, with her husband and family.

Website | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads

Giveaway:

a Rafflecopter giveaway

Tour Schedule:

Week One:
1/18/2016-Seeing Double In NeverlandInterview
1/19/2016A Perfection Called Books- Review
1/20/2016Ohana ReadsGuest Post
1/21/2016The Best Books Ever Review
1/22/2016Once Upon A TwilightReview

Week Two:
1/25/2016Bookish LifestyleInterview
1/26/2016Literary MeanderingsGuest Post
1/27/2016DanaSquare - Review
1/28/2016Two Chicks on Books- Interview
1/29/2016Here's to Happy EndingsReview

Rachel is a teenaged unapologetic fangirl and perfectionist.

She loves reading for the escape it gives from reality and enjoys crying over books, swooning over characters, and laughing out loud over funny lines. She is a semi-recovering Netflix addict and a middle child of three.

You can find her on Twitter @yaperfectionist & Goodreads.

8 comments:

  1. Two sittings?! Niiiice. I'm super-super looking forward to this one: I've heard heaps of good things about it. I especially love reading books by debut authors--so this is high on my list. Lovely review, Rachel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love the premise of this. I haven't read a book about cupid before and now I'm actually itching to!

    - Jen from The Bookavid

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOH this looks so good! I love books that have ballet (even if it's just a mention of it haha!) and mythology in so I'll definitely give this a shot! (Ha, that was almost a pun? Kind of? Nope, okay then XD)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this sounds so good Rachel! I definitely want to give this one a go! Love mythology woven into a modern setting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mythology with a twist. I TBRed this one a while back, and am even more excited about it, after reading your review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read the eARC of this book, and really liked it. It was really cute! Thanks for the giveaway!

    Nicole @ Boundless Bookaholic

    ReplyDelete
  7. It took me a single day to read this one and I liked it more than I expected to! I love Greek mythology so I was all in for that, but it isn't really given much focus and that side of things isn't done very well. But when we get to the contemporary romance part, I just loved it. It made me so happy :3

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)