Review: Hopeless by Colleen Hoover


Author: Colleen Hoover
Genre: NA Romance
Page Length: 416 pages
Publication Date: December 17, 2012
Publisher: Atria Books
Source: Received as a gift!
Goodreads
Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies…

That’s what seventeen-year-old Sky realizes after she meets Dean Holder. A guy with a reputation that rivals her own and an uncanny ability to invoke feelings in her she’s never had before. He terrifies her and captivates her all in the span of just one encounter, and something about the way he makes her feel sparks buried memories from a past that she wishes could just stay buried.

Sky struggles to keep him at a distance knowing he’s nothing but trouble, but Holder insists on learning everything about her. After finally caving to his unwavering pursuit, Sky soon finds that Holder isn’t at all who he’s been claiming to be. When the secrets he’s been keeping are finally revealed, every single facet of Sky’s life will change forever.


Hopeless by Colleen Hoover was a good book.  But it just wasn't a great book.  When I received Hopeless as a Christmas present this year, I was absolutely ecstatic.  And although I enjoyed the story, I came across a number of problems that caused me to lower my final rating.

I'll say it right off the bat: At first, I thought this book was totally, utterly cheesy.  It just seemed very typical: Girl with love life problems, not feeling that special "spark," waiting for "prince charming" to come along and remedy her problems.  (Inevitably), our main character Sky's "prince charming" does come along.  His name is Dean Holder, and he's just a bit a lot of a stalker.  Forgive me, but I'm going to go off on a rant here . . . After one look at Sky's driver's license, he remembers literally everything on it.  O-kay.  Also: Sky feels that "spark" with him?  Because he's oh-so incredibly, devastatingly good-looking and mysterious?  Sorry, no.  I'm calling insta-love here.  There were some explanations by the end of the book, but still, I just wasn't buying it.

“Dean Holder? Messy brown hair? Smoldering blue eyes? A temper straight out of Fight Club?”

So, the book wasn't off to a great start for me.  However, the storyline became increasingly addicting, and I'm happy I read on.  There were a couple of extremely predictable plot points, but also others that were (admittedly) rather surprising.  Thankfully, Hopeless wasn't just a book about some cheesy romance, but there was actual plot, and actual emotion (that caught me by surprise), so there were definite pluses.

“F#%k all the firsts, Sky. The only thing that matters to me with you are the forevers.”

The best aspect of the book has to be Dean and Sky's relationship.  The romance is extremely well-written.  I eventually got over the beginning events I encountered problems with, and instead, became invested in Hoover's story and characters.  Both Sky and Dean have dealt with quite their share of life's challenges, so they are able to connect on a deeply personal level.  Their relationship went from weird . . . to cute . . . and then to totally believable and downright amazing.

"Not everyone gets a happily ever after.  Life is real and sometimes it's ugly and you just have to learn how to cope."

Overall, Hopeless had a bit too much drama for my taste, but it was still a solid book worth the read.  (I read it in one day, so that's definitely an indicative of Hoover's writing!)  I'll most likely be picking up another Colleen Hoover book sometime soon.


Julia's a dreamer. She often zones off periodically throughout the day thinking up plans for the future, pining over fictional characters, and concocting up possible plot lines for stories.

You can find Julia on her main blog, Peach Print, on Twitter @peachprint, on Instagram @yapeach, and of course, right here on the APCB blog.

5 comments:

  1. CoHo's writing is so addictive! I always love her books been though they aren't perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mention exactly the things I usually criicize in Hoover's novels. Haven't read Hopeless yet, but I have no doubts that I will have similar criticism for this book. Sometimes the drama is just too much with Hoover's novels and simply over the top and unrealistic.

    - Jen from The Bookavid

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this book last year(I think) and really enjoyed it. I used to love reading CoHo books but her last two books - Confess and November 9 - just fell flat for me. I found the romance in the book, November 9, way too cheesy. I think something is wrong with me as people loved this book....sigh. May be I am not into New Adult much now.
    Anyways, I hope your next book turns out much better. And nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review. I definitely agree that this book had a lot of drama in it. Some of her books feel like that sometimes, Confess definitely did. But I just love her characters and always find her books so easy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was my first CoHo book and I completely fell in love with her writing. This book will always hold a special spot in my heart. :) I'm glad you enjoyed it, despite your issues with it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)