The Unpopular Opinions Tag


Hi bookworms! This is Mishma! This is my first post here in 2016, so happy new year!!! ;D


Once upon a time, two potatoes - Kaitlin and Karina - tagged me for the Unpopular Opinions Tag. But me, being the scatter brained blogger I am, forgot all about it until now, so here I am, giving the tag a try, ages after I was tagged for it! :D

Popular book or series you didn't like

I'll probably give Rachel a heart attack here, but......Throne of Glass by Sarah J.Mass. Well I can't say I don't like the series, tbh, as I actually loved it until the second book, but then, the turn of events - ESPECIALLY MY SHIP - ruined the series for me. I've lost my love for ToG and it's super sad! *sobs*




Book or series everyone seems to hate but you love.

The Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Marr. Okay so, it's not as if everyone hates this series, but I've heard a lot say that it's weird. Which I have to agree with, though that's part of this series' appeal. I adore these books - the second one, Ink Exchange, is my favourite! - which feature a really dark and twisted take on faeries! It's really intriguing!

Love triangle where the MC ended up with the person you did not want them to end up with.

Can I pick ToG again??? Well, never mind, I'l go for something else this time! :) One love triangle that devastated me was the one from Firelight by Sophie Jordan. From the time he was introduced, it was clearly that my fav guy didn't have a chance at all, but still, the fact that my ship sunk hurt a lot. And the Grisha trilogy!!! All I could think was, why???



Popular book genre you hardly reach for.

Science Fiction. I just can't....get into it, I guess. While I have really loved some dystopian novels, sci fi confuse me a lot! In fact I couldn't even get into everyone's favourite recent sci fi - Illuminae - though I want to give it another shot. It's just that my amateur brain can't handle all those techincal stuff.


A popular or beloved character that you do not like

Ahem.... Aelin Galathynius.... I loved her as Celaena Sardothien, but as Aelin? Not so much. Does that even make sense? Are you going to throw things at me now? 
*makes igloo out of books and hide in it*


A popular author that you can't seem to get into

Stephanie Perkins! Honestly, I don't get her appeal! I hated Anna, and I liked Lola enough, but I couldn't understand why she is called a "modern Jane Austen". Not at all.


A popular book trope that you're tired of seeing

LOVE TRIANGLES!!!! They're horrible, okay? I hate them! They often end up breaking my heart to pieces and tear my hair out in frustration, and honestly, I don't need all this stress in my life. Give the girl one shippable love interest! That's all we ask!



A popular series that you have no interest in reading.

Percy Jackson. I just never got a chance to read the books, and somewhere along the line, I lost interest. And I also committed a grave sin by watching the movie. It took away what little desire I had in me to take up the series.


Show or movie adaptation that you liked better than the book

A Walk to Remember! The book is the only ever Nicholas Sparks book I actually liked, but the movie was loads better! Mandy Moore and Shane West had such a sweet chemistry and their romance was beautiful! The movie is certainly one of my favourite book to screen adaptation ever!


I think almost everyone I know has been already tagged for this! :D So I am leaving this open, if you want to try it out, I am tagging you! 

What are some of your unpopular opinions? Which one of mine shocked you the most?

Mishma is a 16 year old teenager from Sri Lanka who's always loved books and talking about them. She often comes off as a loud, outgoing, funny, hyperactive and happy go lucky girl! Her addictions include books, Twitter and Buzzfeed and she has an unapologetic love for classic old movies with uncensored violence and villains with a vulnerable side.

You can find her at her own blogTwitterInstagram. She loves making friends, so stop by to say a hi!

18 comments:

  1. Ok I must admit that some of your 'unpopular opinions' did (sort of) shock me haha. But I mean the fact that you didn't enjoy ToG because of the plot twist makes sense. I was kind of frustrated at first but I felt like the twists ultimately made the series that much more interesting. I definitely don't read a lot of sci-fi either. I kind of want to get into it but at the same time, a lot of the books I read before were cliche or overly-complicated and I'm just not interested in dnfing more of those kinds of books. I actually loved Stephanie Perkins books but I get the feeling that if I read them now, I might be more critical (I don't understand the whole "modern jane austen" thing either lol). Oh and I'm a huge fan of love triangles btw (more hot guys ;).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with everything you said about ToG. I lost interest after the third book, and Aelin just screwed things up for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unpopular Opinions is my favorite book tag!! I love hearing about what people didn't like that everyone else does. I agree with you about Anna. I didn't like that one as much at all. I really liked Lola and Isla though.

    GREAT POST!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Percy Jackson is one of my favorite series! I LOVE IT SO MUCH. The movies were awful, I still haven't recovered from how terrible that book to movie adaptation was haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh I think I know why you don't like ToG anymore especially what you said and then you mentioned Aelin. It sucks that it took you out of the series! I think that the transformation from Celaena to Aelin was much needed overdue in terms of Celaena's character. But personally, I think books that touch on how hard it is to get over grief like that are really great, so maybe I'm a bit biased. I also really like Rowan. Rowan is a too pure cinnabon for this world. I will agree though that Aelin is a bit too OP so I'm curious as to how there's going to be conflict because... she's kind of OP.

    AND YOU WATCHED THE MOVIE! NOoooo. While I like the movie in its own right, it's such a bad adaptation ;-;

    ReplyDelete
  6. -sighs- Like you I absolutely loved the TOG series but my loved died at the end of the 2nd book... I love Chaol and Celaena together! Unless you liked her with Dorian?! :O & I couldn't even read all of the third book because a new character suddenly jumps in and is apparently the new love interest?! And now she's Aelin?! I can't handle that, everything changed so fast.
    OKAY. Let me tell you this Mishma, don't trust the movie it deceives people into thinking the Percy Jackson series is terrible when its not! The Percy Jackson series is so amazing, and its like my favorite book series ever!! So I do hope you give it another try, but if not I understand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this tag!! I just read Throne of Glass and I was looking forward to the second one in the series. But now I am a bit scared. I don't think I should tell you which guy I love because you may shatter my dreams. I will let the book be the one to break my heart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great answers!! And you MUST read PJO! Percy Jackson is one of our favourite series, and in fact Rick Riordan's books are the funniest books we've ever read. But if you REALLY don't want to, then we recommend Rick's newest release, Magnus Chase. Funniest. Narrator. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Percy Jackson books are nothing like the movies! They're way way better! The author even jokes about his bad they are.

    I'm sorry your ship sank in ToG. Mine sank in the Grisha trilogy. I hate when that happens! Why do I always pick the wrong side of the triangle?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I gave up on TOG after the second book, so not worth the drama and problematic issues of it. As for PJO, Mishma, the movie was terrible. As all book to movie adaptations are, you should know that. The books are really creative, though, and I honestly believe that if there's a set of books that should be required reading for everybody, Rick Riordan has to be in there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Wicked Lovely series is one of my favorites to this day! I love the darkness, the weirdness of it! It is a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read my first Percy Jackson book just last month, and loved it! I can see why people love the series. Other popular series I have tried (and DNFed book 1): The Maze Runner. I just could not get into it. The weird lingo. Outlander (I am obsessed with the series) was also too tedious to read. The story was strong, but I felt like I was working so hard between the English and even worse, the Scottish (I have to really pay attention watching a TV show with Scottish actors). I understand your sadness surrounding ToG. I also felt this loss, but as I read further into the series, other characters grew on me, and I think it was important for Aelin's development

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this tag!! I really love A Walk to Remember as well, but I haven't read the book yet. Mandy & Shane did have some great chemistry in the movie!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this tag, it's just so interesting to read about the books that people actually don't like. I don't really agree with ToG because I still like the series a lot but I was really really unhappy with some things in Queen of Shadows. The more I think about it, the less I like it, so I totally get that your love for the series is gone by now. I'm just hoping this doesn't happen to me too. :)
    I also used to feel the same about Percy Jackson, like I just missed my opportunity to read and love the series. But now I decided to give it a try anyway and to see where it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel like I am the only person happy that Aelin isn't with the person everyone seems to ship her with xD Okay, so I still don't want her to be with the person she is with now, but still. (Hopefully that made some sort of sense?)
    I read the first book in the Wicked Lovely series years and years ago, and I didn't like it that much. I moved on to the second book and DNF'ed it. But I honestly think that I might enjoy them a lot more now considering how my tastes have changed. Maybe I will pick them up again at some stage.
    I do agree with you about Stephanie Perkins though!
    Nice post :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. A Walk to Remember is amazing I agree! Though I have to say I still did enjoy the book better, the movie was done really well :) Illuminae for me did take a while to get into, but once it hit about 1/3 the way through wow did things pick up! Percy Jackson is a book series my best friend has been saying for me to read for about 6 years now so I guess I had better get onto it soon - though I too have seen the movies first so it is a little less encouraging once you know what happens so I can see where you're coming from. Thanks for sharing Mishma! :)

    Eugenia @ Genie In A Book

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post Mishma!
    I definitely relate with you on Percy jackson. I've re-read book one three times and I have no desire to re-read AGAIN just to understand what's going on.
    I also can't get into Stephanie Perkins (okay maybe I haven't tried but still) I'm not a huge contemporary fan so I really don't have much interest in reading her books anyways.
    Whoops?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I recently bought Wicked Lovely so I hope I share your unpopular opinion on that one! It's a shame about Percy Jackson, but if you're not interested, then you aren't. I was sorta like that with Anna and the French Kiss and then - I admittedly loved it xD I haven't read the book A Walk to Remember, but I loved that movie!

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)