Books I Mistakenly Judged


You're probably going to shake your head and tsk tsk me, but I have a confession. I judge books before I read them. Wait! Don't go! I admit I am wrong to do it every time, but I can't help it. I make assumptions based on covers and synopsises. Sometimes I'm right, but most of the time I'm wrong.

The Welcome Surprises

My expectations and judgements were so far off, and I'm happily surprised that I was wrong!


Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Expectations: Oh no, this is some weird cyborg/sci-fi mash-up, and I'm going to HATE it. A retelling? Ew.
Reality: Whoa this is great!! I actually LIKE this retelling, and the world building and characters and writing are wonderful! So much action too!!

I'll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios

Expectations: Oh great, another sob story of a tragedy. This book is just going to make me sad and have such dark themes. Bleh.
Reality: This is much happier than I thought it would be. And the themes are beautiful (as is that romance *swoon*).



The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

Expectations: So these guys turn into ravens...?
Reality: Oh, they don't! *relieved sigh*





The Shoulder Shrug

I got these wrong, and I don't know how to feel. Not entirely upset nor am I too happy, it's just different and I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO FEEL.




The Selection by Kiera Cass 

Expectations: What a frilly cover. It must be some creepy dystopia with polygamy or something.
Reality: Not creepy, just a faux dystopia. No polygamy!

Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz


Expectations: This is like Gossip Girl with vampires, right??
Reality: Um no... It's much more boring than that.




The Crushing Defeats

I worked up some thoughts on these books, and what I got was so disappointing.
I like my ideas better.



Rook by Sharon Cameron

Expectations: Ooh I love Paris! I can't wait to see what the city looks like now. And it sounds a bit Robin Hood-esque
Reality: What the heck does this Paris even look like? I am soooo bored.

A Wicked Thing by Rhiannon Thomas

Expectations: It'll be awesome to see how Aurora readjusts to life. Ooh I'm sure this prince is utterly dashing!
Reality: Oh geez, nothing is happening. This prince is as aloof and clumsy and sissy as they get.



We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

Expectations: I can't wait to hear what these epic liars are like!
Reality: What the heck, these liars are LAME.

Do you ever make any judgements or have certain expectations/notions about a book beforehand? What books? What did you expect and what really happened? 



Rachel is a teenaged unapologetic fangirl and perfectionist.

She loves reading for the escape it gives from reality and enjoys crying over books, swooning over characters, and laughing out loud over funny lines. She is a semi-recovering Netflix addict and a middle child of three.

You can find her on Twitter @yaperfectionist & Goodreads.

18 comments:

  1. NOOOO. I refuse to accept your boredom with Rook. Nope. *shoves book toward Rachel* It was one of my favorites of 2015! D: It's an alternate version of Paris, not strictly historical. I'm sorry you didn't like it!

    I was thinking the SAME THING about Demetrios's book! Another sob story with dark themes, that sounds about right. But given that you thought it was much happier than all that... maybe I should give it its fair shot. o.O People have been pushing me to read it but I think this post was tip me over, so I thank you for that. :D Great post, Rachel!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    P.S. Hope all is going well with college apps and admissions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so judge all books by their covers!!! I have had the same type of reaction like your - pleasantly surprised to really disappointed. I am aways happy when a book I thin looks just eh turns out great. But then I want to it to have a better cover!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been known to judge books by its cover too... I was thinking that These Broken Stars would have the pretty dress cover syndrome but it totally blew me away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really don't like it when a cover doesn't match the book inside. False advertising!!
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we all judge books by their covers a little bit, but people hate to admit it. I love it when I'm wrong and the book is great though. I definitely agree with you about Cinder. I expected to hate it and then I loved the whole series! Great post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get you! I do judge books by cover, like that sounds awful but let's be real, a cover is the FIRST thing you see on a book, it is important :O. But yessssss, THE LUNAR CHRONICLES :D I really love that cover though XD and you nailed The Selection cover perfectlyyyy.... it looks dark and dim and CREEEPY but no. It is romance and not the creepy I wanted :(
    But lovely list haha XD love it! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really hate when covers don't match up with the story.

    One series covers that I like is the Starbound Trilogy by Amie Kaufman and Megan Spooner. The outfits - the poses - all go with the story perfectly.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  8. I judge books by their cover, too! It happened to me recently with The Book of Ivy, which I thought it was gonna be terrible (I thought it was a creppy dystopia where maniquies fought each other), but I ended up really liking it!

    Great post, Rachel!

    Sofia @ Bookish Wanderess

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this idea! SO glad to hear that you loved Cinder, when I forst bought it I actually gave it away because I didn't think I would enjoy it, BOY did I regret that. but I got it as a birthday present anyway, haha! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are hilarious. Oh they don't (turn into Ravens) LOL! I think covers are the best they are totally a marketing tool and they want to be judged. So I think it's fair that we do that for them. I so hate the misleading pretty cover * cough wicked thing cought* great post lovely
    ❤️Britt

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm the worst at judging books by their covers (and blurbs), I must fully admit. I try so hard not to, but then my eyes do this seeing thing and they start telling me things ... yeah, it's hopeless. I'm always gonna judge books by their covers (at least at first.)

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  12. So first- I felt the EXACT same way about all three of the books you were unsure about and then loved. I was like "I am NOT reading about more bird people!" with The Raven Boys and then Holly told me that they were JUST boys, NOT bird people, so I was good.

    The Selection sounds like it would have been improved with polygamy? Also, I really enjoyed Rook- but it did have its slow moments. And I will fully admit to liking A Wicked Thing, even though most people do not.

    Pretty excited that you found We Were Liars underwhelming too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally judge books by their covers and titles, and many times I was SO WRONG about them. The first three you listed - basically me. I wouldn't dare pick up Raven Boys because I didn't want to read about shapeshifters *facepalm*. Cinder I'd have NEVER picked up based on the cover and synopsis, if not for the CRAZY HYPE - and then it turned out to be one of my all time favorite series, along with Raven Cycle, so I'm super-thankful for the hype in these cases.

    The Selection is actually one of those books that I judged right, thus expected something very similar to what it really is, so I was not disappointed. Blue Bloods on the other hand, DEFINITELY seemed like a fantasy GG, but it was just meh.

    I'm sad you didn't enjoy A Wicked Thing and We Were Liars because I LOVED both, especially the latter.

    Wonderful post, Rachel! <3
    Veronika @ The Regal Critiques

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I loved reading this Rachel! I am totally guilty of preconceived notions and I LOVE it when I'm wrong! I thought I would be the exception to Crimson Bound because I loved Cruel Beauty so much, but OMG I hated it. I've heard similar things to Rook and A Wicked Thing, which is why I haven't picked them up. We Were Liars is one I'd have to try because I've seen some positives.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha :) This was great! Also, even though I don't agree with you on all of them, I love the sass of this post! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I was sooooo bored by Rook too, which absolutely sucked because I wanted to read a dystopian about Paris. But it just ended up being so long and boring and I DNFed it. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I didn't mistakenly judge Cinder... but I was scared of the hype for a long time. I thought it sounded epic and everyone was saying it was and then I was afraid it was simply too epic to be true. I expected a major plot twist in We Were Liars - and I got one... it just took so long to get to it! I mistakenly judged Anna and the French Kiss as well, but I don't think you can blame me with that title ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Accident Season was nothing at all like I expected it be based on the description. It turned out to be one of my favorites reads of last year!

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)