Rachel's Back-To-Blogging Initiative

Today I want to talk about promotions stemming from publishers, blog tours, and any other source other than myself and the effect it has had on me.

I naturally love to come up with creative ideas and design my own types of promotion. As my blog eventually gained an established following, I started receiving more approaches from major publishers for review requests and promotional opportunities for their titles. I was honestly flattered by this and wanting to stay in their good graces, I said yes to basically anything. Any blog tour, any promotional aspect, etc. I didn't want to break the connect because 1. I love promoting books 2. I feared the publisher would lose interest in me and 3. I usually liked the promotional ideas that were unordinary and especially creative. I wrongly thought that these publishers' reaching out meant I had finally "made it" in blogging.

The truth is that there is no such thing as "making it." The only "making" there is in blogging is making yourself happy. And how does one do that? By writing and blogging about what you want to without any outside influences affecting your decisions. I wrote a post on my blogging identity crisis when I tried to meld and conform my blogging/writing style to fit a mold of what I thought bloggers like. I'd like to think this post works in conjunction with that post.

Bloggers are free marketing tools, and as awesome as that is for publishers and as much as for some bloggers who love to do those types of promotions, I've realized it's really not for me. I'd rather create my own forms of unique promotions for books that I've loved. I don't want to do what everyone else is doing because that's simply not for me.

That's why I'm initiating "Rachel's Back-To-Blogging Initiative" where I start bringing back more original posts to APCB. My best views come from my discussion posts. I love writing those, and I WILL do that again. Another element I want to bring back is TTT lists and APCB Adds. I want to push more books on you guys and spread the bookish news! I also want to increase the number of books I can promote here on APCB, so a majority of my blog reviews will eventually warp into bundles of mini reviews with links to the full review on Goodreads. I'm significantly cutting back on blog tours as well.

I'm so excited to take APCB into this new direction!


What are your thoughts on promotion stemming from others? Which do you prefer: guided promotion or self-created promotion? Why? 
Rachel is a teenaged unapologetic fangirl and perfectionist.

She loves reading for the escape it gives from reality and enjoys crying over books, swooning over characters, and laughing out loud over funny lines. She is a semi-recovering Netflix addict and a middle child of three.

You can find her on Twitter @yaperfectionist & Goodreads.

11 comments:

  1. I hardly ever say yes to the promotion initiatives I get offered to participate in, unless I really liked the book and have read the book. My blog has always been about being honest with my little following. I do understand that you felt like you had to agree to all of these things, but I can never picture myself doing this. Being asked to collaborate with publishers should be the cherry on top, not part of the ingredients for the cake :p (what a horrific metaphor, but you get what I mean)
    - Jen from The Bookavid

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I'm beaming at this post. I definitely think I have more self-created content than promotional content because... well... that's just me. I have so many ideas flowing around in my head and I need to get them down somewhere. It's great to see that you want to start doing more of that!! Can't wait to see what you come up with :D <3

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you, Rachel! APCB will only get better!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really great! I'm glad to see a post like this. I think it's important to write what you want to write. I'm always flattered when someone reaches out to me, whether it's about a review request or promotional action. I still feel like a new and small blogger (even though it's been over a year already). I've also had to tell myself to say no to certain things, because it just doesn't feel right for me or my blog. But then I always feel guilty. Like you said, what if the publisher doesn't reach out to me again? I think I'd prefer self-created promotion, although I have no problem with guided one as long as it's honest.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of bundles of mini reviews! I really like discovering new books through blogs I trust--the more the better! Best of luck with the new direction--I'm sure it will be great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also cut back on blog tours compared to last year. I got so excited and signed up for quite a lot. I had the tendency to overwhelm myself. I really like the idea of mini reviews. Great post, Rachel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. While I certainly don't think there's anything wrong with publisher promo posts for books you love, they're only great if they're working for you. I think you've made a great decision for you - and that's all that counts!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  8. First of all, you go, girl! I have to say I absolutely LOVE your book recommendation posts, so I'm definitely all for those!! I also love discussion posts. I have to admit, I made the mistake of taking on EVERYTHING from publishers when I was new as well. I wanted to get in with them, I wanted them to like me, and I felt like I finally "made it", like you mentioned. But since then I learned that all of that isn't true, and I'm much more selective with what I take part in now. I do love the more creative tours for books that I love, especially when the posts aren't reviews, but instead something related to the book and very fun. I also still enjoy taking part in blog tours, especially when I LOVED the book. But my favorite thing still seems to be TTT posts and others like that. I really enjoy making lists, and I adore making those lists into super fun graphics for the post. It's a weekly enjoyment for me. Gotta love Tuesdays!!

    Sorry, I'm rambling...

    Anyway, great post, love! And good luck on your new approach to APCB!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rachel, this is such a fantastic post to read! I think it's so important to continue writing and putting up content that you really want to, and not because someone else wants you to. Go you!!! I really cannot wait to read all of the amazing posts that will come up here. <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's so great! I agree about "making it." I blog for me, not for publishers so I say yes or no to whatever I want lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it's good for you to do what you want with your blog. It's your space and you should be able to manage it in the way you want to! Sure, it's good that publishers reach out, but you can generally benefit a lot of people with a single post :) I try my best to stay true to myself as well.

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)