Review: Dreamology

Author: Lucy Keating
Genre: Contemporary
Page Length: 336 Pages
Publication Date: April 12, 2016
Publisher: HarperTeen
Source: ARC via Publisher
Goodreads | Amazon
Vibrantly offbeat and utterly original, Lucy Keating’s debut novel combines the unconventional romance of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind with the sweetness and heart of Jenny Han.

For as long as Alice can remember, she has dreamed of Max. Together, they have traveled the world and fallen deliriously, hopelessly in love. Max is the boy of her dreams—and only her dreams. Because he doesn’t exist.

But when Alice walks into class on her first day at a new school, there he is. Real Max is nothing like Dream Max. He’s stubborn and complicated. And he has a whole life Alice isn’t a part of. Getting to know each other in reality isn’t as perfect as Alice always hoped.

Alarmingly, when their dreams start to bleed into their waking hours, the pair realize that they might have to put an end to a lifetime of dreaming about each other. But when you fall in love in your dreams, can reality ever be enough?
This book reminds me of the joys of having an active imagination. I felt like I was floating on a euphoria-filled cloud the entire time I spent reading this book.

Keating's writing is bubbly and cheery, and there's a flair of sophistication and pure happiness infused in her words. I could feel it from page one to the very end. Although this book deals with grief and abandonment and childhood problems, this book really picks up your spirits with it's humor and touching scenes. I found myself smiling and chuckling throughout the book, and it was really such a pleasure to read Dreamology.

The voice in the novel was outstanding. Alice's whimsical sense of humor and overall outlook on life is fresh and fun! She's such an easy character to like. Max is basically the perfect guy, both driven and sweet, talented and smart, and thoughtful and reliable. I want a Max!! The romance is a bit of a twist in this book. Max and Alice have known each other since they started appearing in each other's childhood dreams. They've grown up with each other and gone on crazy journeys in their dreams, so when they meet in person, it's a bit of a reality shock for Alice to see that Max isn't exactly the same, carefree person as he is in their dreams. Their romance is more about getting to know each other in reality and learning to live in the here and now as opposed to in their dreams. The romance is saccharine sweet and about as beautiful as it could possibly get.

The dreams aspect rivals with the romance as my favorite part of the novel. My interest was especially piqued whenever Alice and Max embarked on one of their wild dreams; it was so innovative and awe-inducing! Keating has such a vivid and active imagination, it was so fun seeing what these two did next. My one complaint is that I still don't fully understand the explanation of dreams and how Alice and Max ended up appearing in each others' dreams.

I loved every character dearly, even the secondary characters. Everyone had such a vibrant personality, something that endeared them to me. Keating manages to take an idea that's been used before and makes it unique and fascinating. She pumps some vitality and joy into the dreams and packs emotions and heart into the story. As light and cheery as this book is, it also deals with embracing reality and moving on and connecting with others.

I absolutely loved this debut novel, and even if you aren't a contemporary reader, I want you to read this book!!
Rachel is a teenaged unapologetic fangirl and perfectionist.

She loves reading for the escape it gives from reality and enjoys crying over books, swooning over characters, and laughing out loud over funny lines. She is a semi-recovering Netflix addict and a middle child of three.

You can find her on Twitter @yaperfectionist & Goodreads.

4 comments:

  1. Great review! I like contemporary novels, but they are sometimes hit or miss for me. This one does look great though. I'm glad you liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked Dreamology as well! The plot was intriguing, and it reminded me of this other book I saw floating around the blogosphere a year or 2 ago, called Dream Boy (if you've heard of it). I think the only thing I didn't like about it was the fickleness of Max. It got on my nerves! But all was good in the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had my eye on Dreamology for ages now and seeing your glowing review has definitely persuaded me to pick this up sooner. ARGH, I'm so excited!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was expecting this one to be a cuter read, but I wasn't expecting to love it like I did. It was sweet and beautiful and written wonderfully. I can't wait to read another book by this author!

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)