Balancing School and Blogging


It's hard. I won't lie. Sometimes I face an unsurmountable pile of homework followed by loads of blogging obligations and I wonder why I still do this (blogging because I don't think my parents would condone quitting school). But then I remember all the wonderful people I've met, all the great books I've read, and all the books I continue to discover through the treasure trove called blogging and realize I wouldn't change a thing.

The hardest part of balancing school and blogging is knowing when and what to prioritize. School always comes first. Blogging is like a shiny, new toy. You just want to take it out and play! As tempting as it is, I must urge you to limit it. You will regret it. Like that summer you spent hours on Twitter chats when you should have been writing your college essays. Or how about when you had a biology test, but that book you've been waiting two years for just came in and instead of studying you binge read it. Blogging and books aren't going anywhere, school has a timeline limit. Your performance at school is a reflection of your ability in most people's eyes, be mindful of this.

Okay, Mother Rachel is done her lecture. Here are some tips from Teen Rachel to help you balance school and blogging. Most of this has to do with managing and freeing up your time to blog!

The Tips:


Work efficiently and maintain good quality work!
This goes for both blogging and school. Don't waste time, just get it done, and do it well.

Limit Procrastination.
If the teacher says the essay is due next week, do parts of it each day. If you know that big test is coming up, chunk the studying over multiple days. Putting off the work and waiting until the last minute gives unnecessary stress and doesn't usually produce quality work. You should always be proud of what you submit or post. Procrastinating in blogging will make blogging seem like a chore. Do a little bit at a time, and everything is easier. The less time you procrastinate in school, the more time you can blog (if you so choose).

Take breaks.
If you know you have a homework-heavy night, set hourly goals, make lists, and cross things off as you complete them. Take a break and watch tv while you eat dinner. Take a shower. Visit twitter for a few minutes. Same goes for blogging! Hiatuses are life. I take frequent breaks (but you don't really notice because I have scheduled posts!), and then when I start to miss blogging, I come back refreshed and better than before. You don't want to tire yourself out.

Use idle/free time in class.
Lunches. Study halls. Classes with substitute teachers. Make the most out of your time. Sometimes I write blog posts during teachers' rants about politics or social media. It's quite productive. Or while the teacher is cracking jokes I'll do my math homework for the night. This will free you up later so you can blog, relax, or do something else.

Find what works for you and what doesn't.
For me, to-do lists, schedules, and listening to music really spur me to work faster (at homework and blogging). NO PHONE. NO TWITTER.

Schedule posts.
Are you on holiday break? Are your creativity juices flowing? Tap into that and write as many posts as you can! Then schedule those posts ahead of time in emergency reserves so when you know that you'll be busy and won't be able to blog much, you can just publish those posts.

Always have a book or phone on hand.
Reading is an extension of book blogging, so when you're stuck in line or waiting for a flight, just whip out that book. When inspiration strikes make sure you have your phone nearby so you can write down all your post ideas lest you forget.

Detox, and do NOTHING related to school or blogging.
There is such a thing as overloading. Weekends are for vegging out and relaxing. Don't force yourself to blog if you're not in the mood.

Most importantly, try your best and forget the rest. Don't get mad at yourself when you can't find much time to blog. Those are the best tips I can give! Maintaining a high GPA and a relatively successful blog is hard but somewhat manageable if you follow my tips :D

Do you have any tips to add?
Rachel is a teenaged unapologetic fangirl and perfectionist.

She loves reading for the escape it gives from reality and enjoys crying over books, swooning over characters, and laughing out loud over funny lines. She is a semi-recovering Netflix addict and a middle child of three.

You can find her on Twitter @yaperfectionist & Goodreads.

10 comments:

  1. I think you might have it all covered, Rachel! (Although I really need to work on that procrastination... maybe senioritis is kicking in. Sigh.)

    OH. HERE'S ONE. Always have a notebook/phone in hand - just in case you come up with a blog post idea and you can write it down on the spot! Planners work as well if you're willing to scribble nonsense here and there on empty space. ;)

    ~Sophia @ Bookwyrming Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all great tips! *stores away for later* I need to get better at prioritizing and a large part of that is spreading time between blogging and school, especially with exams around the corner. That said it might take a while for me to do so, starting with making schedules and sticking with them.
    Enchanted by YA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips! I'm currently out of school now but most of my blogging career so far has been a mix of school and blogging - as well as jobs and everything else that came along. I think scheduling ahead is always a good thing. I really need to do this more STILL but it does help you not stress as much if you know the blog is covered and you can just focus on other things in real life.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always in awe of how much you get done! It's so impressive how you're able to balance school and blogging this well, so thank you for sharing these tips; they're useful for everyone, even for people who are done with school but still have full-time jobs or obligations (except blogging XD) ^_^ Wonderful post, as always!

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great tips. I am amazed at how much work you do on your blog even with all your school obligations. I am not sure I could have handled balancing the two when I was in school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post is so relatable! As an Advanced Levels student, it's incredibly hard for me to manage school and blogging, and sometimes I even feel tired of everything and want to give up. Recent times have been really hard, and I feel like I've been slacking on the blogging front. *sighs* I just hope that I can get my mojo back real soon.

    I really loved those tips. I myself try to use every single spare second to do my reading and blogging. It's tiring, yes, but that's the only way I can get this done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for all these great tips! I really need to get ahead with scheduling posts (I was getting really good in March but then it all just slipped), but sadly I can't blog in school, because my school is super strict about mobile phones/what we do on the internet. I wouldn't want to risk getting it confiscated! I really need to limit procrastination too. When I'm revising, I use blogging as a break. Every time I've learnt a page of notes, I comment on a blog. It works pretty well! :)

    Denise | The Bibliolater

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such great tips! I really needed to read a post like this today. Thanks so much <3

    Blessings,
    Edye // Gracefulcoffee.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome tips Rachel! I learned not to procrastinate the hard way last year when I would stay up until 3am and have to wake up at 6:30am just to get everything done for school and blogging that I had procrastinated on. I was SO tired all the time and I felt like I didn't have the energy to be creative AT ALL! Use every spare second that you have and remain positive! Props to you for keeping your life together :D

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha I will definitely take these tips to heart. I am like the poster child for procrastination. I hate to admit but I'm easily distracted and will forget about something completely. >_< I think I will take up the idea of scheduling posts. So thanks for the awesome tips Rachel!!! ^^

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)