Meet the Newbies: Lindsey Klingele


Meet the Newbies is a blog event dedicated to introducing you to the “newbie” published debut authors. In this event, expect to learn more about the authors, their books, and silly fun facts! Check out the full Meet the Newbies lineup here.

The Marked Girl seems like a wonderful blend of contemporary and fantasy. I've heard great things about the book, and here is the author, Lindsey Klingele!


Author Most Likely To Ask the Cafeteria Lady Where She Stashes the Extra Ranch Dressing


Nickname: Linds
First Day of School: June 21, 2016
Homeroom: HarperTeen
Grade: Fantasy
Extracurricular Activities: Reading, Drawing, Competitive Hanging Out on the Couch with my Dog
Favorite Class: Would it make me look more interesting if I said something here other than English? Ah well, I can’t lie
Favorite Quote/Motto: “We’re all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?” - The Doctor

Interview:

1. Describe your book in 5 words.
Medieval teens take Los Angeles

2. What is your favorite part of The Marked Girl? (A specific scene, a character, a romance?)
My favorite parts are when the characters from Caelum clash with the modern world. I'm really drawn to the comedy inherent in fish-out-of-water situations, especially when the fish are sword-wielding warrior badasses and the water is Hollywood, which is its own kind of strange and wonderful subset of our world.

Also the kissing scenes, obviously.


3. How has your previous job as a writers' assistant for TV shows influenced your career as an author?
Working in the writers' rooms of TV shows has influenced my writing in a big way. TV writers work from detailed outlines, and that's something I've come to rely on, too. But there's also something in the pacing of TV scripts that I really like and try to maintain. They move fast, they build to solid act breaks and cliffhangers, and they deliver a lot of information through visuals and dialogue. I love that kind of storytelling, so I try to incorporate it into my books as much as I can.

4. What is one of your goals or dreams?
To write for a CW show. Any one, really! (But especially iZombie.)

5. Can you share your top three all-time favorite books?
This is a very hard question, Rachel! I'm of course tempted to answer Harry Potter (can I count all seven books as one for the purposes of this question? Okay, cool.) But that almost feels too obvious, in a way. Like if someone asks what your favorite food is, and you answer 'bread.' Like, yes, it's true -- bread goes with anything, always tastes good and sustains you, but it's too obvious to give as an answer!

So instead, I'll share a few other faves. My favorite book of 2015 -- Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo. I couldn't put that book down, but I also couldn't stop thinking about how she pulled that off. How could she create SIX such distinct, compelling characters and put them inside such an intricate, interesting plot in such a vivid, fleshed-out world? I SUSPECT WITCHCRAFT.

The book I've re-read the most (making it a favorite by default?) is Special Topics in Calamity Physicsby Marisha Pessl, which is excellent. I've also read Pride and Prejudice like eight times. And then there's -- wait, that's already three. Noooooo!


About the Book:



Once upon a time, in a land far, far away (Los Angeles)…

When Cedric, crowned prince of Caelum, and his fellow royal friends (including his betrothed, Kat) find themselves stranded in modern-day L.A. via a magical portal and an evil traitor named Malquin, all they want to do is get home to Caelum—soon. Then they meet Liv, a filmmaker foster girl who just wants to get out of the system and on with her life. As she and Cedric bond, they’ll discover that she’s more connected to his world than they ever could’ve imagined…and that finding home is no easy task…Book Buy Links: GoodreadsAmazon | Barnes and Noble 

About the Author:


Lindsey Klingele grew up in Western Michigan, where she read every book she could get her hands on. She eventually moved to Los Angeles (the real land of make believe) and worked as a writers' assistant for TV shows such as THE LYING GAME and TWISTED. She still loves living in LA, especially since it's home to great television shows, truly excellent cheeseburgers, and her pitbull, Bighead.Social Media Links:  Website | TwitterGoodreads | Blog 

Giveaway:

a Rafflecopter giveaway
Have you read this book? Why are you excited to read it? If you slipped into a fantasy world, what would you do? How would you respond? 

5 comments:

  1. Medieval takes on LA sounds amazing! I love time travel so I can't wait to dive into this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds interesting, old meets new! Such an imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this book sounds amazing! I love stories with two worlds colliding! And the cover is gorgeous. Great interview! It was really fun :)

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)