Review: The Season

Author: Jonah Lisa + Stephen Dyer
Genre: YA Contemporary
Page Length: 326 Pages
Publication Date: July 12, 2016
Publisher: Viking
Source: Finished Copy via Publisher
Goodreads | Amazon
She can score a goal, do sixty box jumps in a row, bench press a hundred and fifty pounds…but can she learn to curtsey?

Megan McKnight is a soccer star with Olympic dreams, but she’s not a girly girl. So when her Southern belle mother secretly enters her in the 2016 Dallas debutante season, she’s furious—and has no idea what she’s in for. When Megan’s attitude gets her on probation with the mother hen of the debs, she’s got a month to prove she can ballroom dance, display impeccable manners, and curtsey like a proper Texas lady or she’ll get the boot and disgrace her family. The perk of being a debutante, of course, is going to parties, and it’s at one of these lavish affairs where Megan gets swept off her feet by the debonair and down-to-earth Hank Waterhouse. If only she didn’t have to contend with a backstabbing blonde and her handsome but surly billionaire boyfriend, Megan thinks, being a deb might not be so bad after all. But that’s before she humiliates herself in front of a room full of ten-year-olds, becomes embroiled in a media-frenzy scandal, and gets punched in the face by another girl.

The season has officially begun…but the drama is just getting started.
"The Season" is a book that took me completely by surprise, in a good way. For those of you who don't know, this book is about a sporty, Texan twenty-year-old Megan McKnight who is forced by her mother to join the exclusive debutante season she wrangled to get for Megan. Megan is an athlete who lacks the graces and disposition to be a debutante. But she's not one to back down from a challenge.

I love Megan's spirit and her can-do attitude. It was hilarious watching silly, unfortunate things happen to her and watch her reactions. She could definitely serve as an inspiration to younger girls to show that yes you can be feminine and athletic too. The supporting characters are also endearing, distinct, and just a tad silly in their own right. This book is also a retelling of Pride and Prejudice, and I loved all of the connections to that classic story. I thought Dyer did a great job modernizing the tale and putting a Texan spin to it. I liked that although it was a retelling, Dyer didn't restrict themselves to the retelling and stretched to make it their own.

Speaking of Texan... I love that the setting of this book is Texas. It gives the perfect groundwork to make a hilarious, satirical, and ostentatious show of the debutante season and the over-the-top parties, loquacious people, and elegant dresses. There were so many funny sections that resulted from the Texan culture and way of life!

This book confused me to start because it's marketed as YA, but it has a slightly older main character and deals with some heavier "adult" problems. I felt that this book was a little immature and read younger than YA at times. Overall though the writing was wonderful though and the pace was fast, the plot addictive. I love that this book has two sides. It can be seen as a fun, silly book or it can be viewed as a book about life, rife with themes on marriage, feminism, and rumors.

I ended up enjoying this book much more than I thought I would. I urge you to check it out if you're in the mood for a funny read with Pride and Prejudice vibes!
Rachel is a teenaged unapologetic fangirl and perfectionist.

She loves reading for the escape it gives from reality and enjoys crying over books, swooning over characters, and laughing out loud over funny lines. She is a semi-recovering Netflix addict and a middle child of three.

You can find her on Twitter @yaperfectionist & Goodreads.

4 comments:

  1. I keep seeing this book pop up and I am so curious about it! Especially because I am a HUGE P&P fan!! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read this one! It reminds me a tiny bit of She’s the Man, with the fact that Viola has to be a deb, haha! Glad this one was good though. Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Season sounds like it could be really fun to read! Like Rabiah, I think that it does sound a little bit like She's the Man - which is only a good thing in my book. I definitely will keep this one in mind for something to check out when I'm in the mood for something fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I literally just reviewed this myself, no lie. hahah. I enjoyed it, too, but I agree. It seems to be more New Adult than anything & Texas was shown so prettily. Great review, Rach!

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)