APCB Adds #5


I love learning about the latest book deals, and APCB Adds is a feature where I share my latest Goodreads book additions. These posts will introduce you to books coming out in the future, ones you can look forward to! 

Askari by Kristen Ciccarelli - Harper Collins - Summer 2017
the story of a young dragon slayer facing an arranged marriage while civil war spreads through her homeland. She makes a pact with her father (the king) to bring him the head of the deadliest dragon in her kingdom in exchange for her freedom, but doesn't know that her father is hiding a life-changing secret.
WOW. Definitely one of my most anticipated books of 2017 by far!

Song of the Current by Sarah Tolcser - Bloomsbury - June 2017
Caroline Oresteia has always been destined for the river. Her father is a wherryman, as was her grandmother. All Caro needs is for the river god to whisper her name, and her fate is sealed. But at seventeen, Caro may be too late.

So when pirates burn ships and her father is arrested, Caro volunteers to transport a dangerous cargo in exchange for his release. Secretly, Caro hopes that by piloting her own wherry, the river god will finally speak her name.

But when the cargo becomes more than Caro expected, she finds herself caught in a web of politics and lies. With much more than her father’s life at stake, Caro must choose between the future she knows, and the one she never could have imagined. This immersive fantasy debut set along the waterways of a magical world will entrance fans of Sabaa Tahir and Victoria Aveyard. Sarah Tolcser weaves an epic story of danger and destiny with enchanting world-building and captivating characters.
I love the idea of the river having such a huge effect on the characters. I can't wait to see what happens!

Dear Reader by Mary O'Connell - Flatiron Books May 9, 2017



Gilmore Girls meets Tell The Wolves I’m Home in this whip-smart, poignant, modern-day take on Wuthering Heights, as a high school student searches Manhattan for her beloved teacher.

High School senior Flannery Fields is shy, a bit nerdy, picked on by the plaid-skirted mean girls at school. The one place she feels like herself is in Miss Sweeney’s AP English class, especially now that they are discussing Flannery’s favorite novel, Wuthering Heights. But one morning, Miss Sweeney doesn’t show up, and Flannery is worried: Miss Sweeney has been acting off lately, and she left behind her purse and her dog-eared copy of Wuthering Heights. When the police arrive, Flannery hands over the purse but keeps the book. But when she opens it, seeking comfort, something extremely strange happens: instead of Bronte’s classic first line, Flannery reads what seems to be Miss Sweeney’s real-time diary. Quickly realizing Miss Sweeney is in trouble, Flannery does something very un-Flannery-like: she skips the rest of school and takes the first train to Manhattan. As soon as Flannery arrives, however, she meets a tall, handsome, British distraction: a gap-year student named Heath. And as they search the city together for Miss Sweeney, Flannery can’t help thinking he seems to have stepped from the pages of Bronte’s novel. Is it possible?

With inimitable wit and heart, Mary O’Connell has crafted a love letter to Emily Bronte, to New York City, and to the teachers who shape our lives. Dear Reader, charming and heartbreaking, is a novel about finding your people, on the page and in the world.
Sarah Barley at Flatiron Books is the editor for this book, and I've loved every book she has edited and that I have read! Plus this book sounds fantastic, and who doesn't love retellings?

Becoming Bonnie by Jenni L. Walsh - Forge Books - May 9, 2017 
Set in the 1920s, the historical novel follows 17-year-old Bonnelyn Parker, whose life plans—to become a teacher and settle down with her longtime boyfriend Roy—are dashed after her family falls into dire financial straits. The wholesome Bonnelyn is forced to take a job at a speakeasy in Dallas, where she meets a handsome wild man named Clyde Barrow.
YES TO EVERYTHING IN THIS PITCH.

Noteworthy by Riley Redgate - Abrams - 2017
It’s the start of Jordan Sun’s junior year at the Kensington-Blaine Boarding School for the Performing Arts. Unfortunately, she’s an Alto 2, which—in the musical theatre world—is sort of like being a vulture in the wild: she has a spot in the ecosystem, but nobody’s falling over themselves to express their appreciation. So it’s no surprise when she gets shut out of the fall musical for the third year straight.

Then the school gets a mass email. A spot has opened up in the Sharpshooters, Kensington's elite a cappella octet. Worshiped ... revered ... all male. Desperate to prove herself, Jordan auditions in her most convincing drag, and it turns out that Jordan Sun, Tenor 1, is exactly what the Sharps are looking for.
This book sounds like so much fun!

Seven Dead Gods by Courtney Alameda & Valynne E. Maetani - Harper Collins - 2018
In Seven Dead Gods, which is set in modern-day Japan, 17-year-old Kira, who is the victim of bullying at her school, finds solace working in her grandfather’s Shinto shrine. After realizing that she can see and commune with demons, Kira – with her younger sister in tow – partners with seven “death gods,” or “Shinigami” in Japanese, to save Kyoto from destruction.
I know both Courtney and Valyenne as they were Newbies in Meet the Newbies 2015! I admire their friendship, and I can't wait to see what they've created together. :)

Which book are you most looking forward to from the list? 
What books have you recently added to your TBR?
Rachel is a teenaged unapologetic fangirl and perfectionist.

She loves reading for the escape it gives from reality and enjoys crying over books, swooning over characters, and laughing out loud over funny lines. She is a semi-recovering Netflix addict and a middle child of three.

You can find her on Twitter @yaperfectionist & Goodreads.

7 comments:

  1. I think Im most excited for Askari! 2017 is shaping up to be a great year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when you do these posts, Rachel, because I always discover new books to get excited about! I basically just added every single one of these onto my TBR list because WHY THE HECK NOT? But if I had to pick just one that I was super excited to see, it was Dear Reader, which sounds incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Askari sounds right up my alley! I can't resist anything related to dragons :) Thanks for sharing, Rachel!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh these all sound so good, adding them to my Goodreads right now! I'm really excited for Caraval and Roseblood. 2017 is going to be a great year for new releases, for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! The theatre nerd in me is dying because of Noteworthy! It sounds absolutely amazing. <3 Thanks for putting these on my radar Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These books all sound AMAZING. Wow. I loved the idea of the river one especially. Fun fact: me and all my three siblings have riverish middle names- me and my twin were named after rivers, my brothe is called 'torrent' and my sister's name is a river and means 'song' in maori! I've recently added Wires and Nerve, Beauty in the Walking and Mirror in the Sky to my goodreads TBR
    Shanti @Virtually Read

    ReplyDelete
  7. Askari and Noteworthy sounds amazing, and I am already dying to read Dear Reader, because WUTHERING HEIGHTS!!! I just love that story to death! These books sound all exciting, adding them to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)