Review: A Week of Mondays


Today I'm excited to join the Thank God It's Monday blog tour! Many thanks to Mary and Macmillan for setting up this tour.

Author: Jessica Brody
Genre: YA Contemporary
Page Length: 464 Pages
Publication Date: August 2,  2016
Publisher: Farrar, Straus, and Giroux
Source: ARC via publisher
Goodreads | Amazon

Ellie is having the worst Monday of her life. She messes up her school speech for the class vice presidency position, she manages to take the world's worst school picture, she bombs softball tryouts, and the icing on top of this awful cake: her perfect boyfriend who is in a high school rock band dumps her. At the end of the day, Ellie wishes she could redo everything. When she wakes up the next morning, she discovers that it's Monday again! She has six more chances to redo the day in the hopes of having everything go exactly the way she wants. But in the process, she just may find out that what she really wants and what she actually needs are two very different things.
Ellie has a very busy Monday, and literally nothing is going her way. It seems like the world is against her. And to top it all off, her boyfriend dumps her. Ellie spends this entire book redoing her Monday six more times until she gets it right. She thinks getting it right is finding a way to prevent her boyfriend from breaking up with her, but is that really what she wants?

When I first heard about this book, it seemed like a light, fun read. What I ended up reading had a much deeper impact and resonated within me. This book takes a deep, exploratory look at self-discovery and self-worth. Ellie tries to be as agreeable and drama-free as possible so her boyfriend will constantly stay interested in her. I cringed watching her burrow her true nature to fit the mold she thought her boyfriend would want to stay with most.

This book struck me because I used to do something similar. I grew apart from some friends and desperately tried to fit myself back into the mix. I tried to be funnier, sassier, and more energetic that I usually was, all so they'd welcome me back into the fold. But then I realized much like Ellie that I was awesome the way I was and that I didn't need them. Find someone who will like you for you, don't try to change for others to like you. And I love that Ellie comes to this epiphany. Her character growth in this book is astounding, yet it felt realistic. She learns from her mistakes and comes out victorious and confident in the end.

Jessica Brody's voice felt so authentic to a harried and disheveled teen having a bad day. She perfectly matches the frenzy and hustle and bustle we all feel as we hurry to get ready for school and think up hundreds of school-related reminders in our head. This book includes so many funny and silly 'oh-no' moments where you can't help but chuckle and feel badly for Ellie. I love the inclusion of music in this book. The romance in this book is also super cute, and although it is a YA trope, it was still very enjoyable.

Overall A Week of Mondays is a fun and cute read that cut deeper than I thought it would. I would definitely recommend you check out this book.

About the Author:

Jessica Brody is the author of several popular books for teens, including the Unremembered trilogy, 52 Reasons to Hate My Father, and The Karma Club, as well as two adult novels. She splits her time between California and Colorado. Find out more at jessicabrody.com.

Rachel is a teenaged unapologetic fangirl and perfectionist.

She loves reading for the escape it gives from reality and enjoys crying over books, swooning over characters, and laughing out loud over funny lines. She is a semi-recovering Netflix addict and a middle child of three.

You can find her on Twitter @yaperfectionist & Goodreads.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for being on the blog tour, Rachel! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked seeing your thoughts on A Week of Mondays! It actually sounds like a pretty good read, and I like that it explores Ellie's journey of self-discovery :)

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)