The Struggle of Finding Time to Read

Source
This year, I'll be a senior.  And that means just one more year of high school!  But being a senior also means an inevitable load of stress.  With some tough courses, extracurriculars, and of course those infamous college applications to fill out, finding the time to read seems like a more challenging task than ever before.  I mean, Rachel is living proof that one can actually survive senior year, but she's kind of a super-human.  (Isn't she?)


I think we can all agree that we read simply because we love to read.  I first started blogging towards the end of my sophomore year in high school for exactly that reason.  The only difference between now and then is (unfortunately) my free time.  By far, my sophomore year was the easiest, most laid-back year of high school.  I don't know exactly why, but I found myself with hours to spare after school and on the weekends.  I read the entire Harry Potter series in about a week.  And since I'm not the fastest reader out there, that was quite a feat for me.  Trust me, I've never been able to do anything comparable since then.

So, life as a sophomore was good.  Great.  I had a seemingly infinite amount of reading time.


Then came along junior year.  Oh, boy.  JUNIOR YEAR.  People tell you how "important" and "difficult" junior year is, but I didn't know how accurate that statement would prove to be.  As the year progressed, I felt my free time (aka reading time) slowly slipping from my grasp.

This was me the whole year:

Source
And sometimes this, too:

Source

I totally wish I was joking, but I'm not.  In order to get any reading done, I had to find tiny breaks in my schedule.  During the drive to school in the mornings, I'd read in the car.  At school when I had free time in between classes and a more manageable homework situation, I'd allow myself a short reading break.  And on the drive back home, I might get in a few more pages.

Even when I had time to spare, reading was difficult.  I'd cozy up on the couch or lay in bed and open up a book to read, but find that I'd be unable to get very far.  My mind would begin to wander from the actual text to other priorities.  Did I do my homework?  Do I need to study for a test?  I'd run through a whole checklist.  I just couldn't believe I actually had the free time.

So now it's time for my senior year.  I've heard people say everything from "it's like junior year but worse" to "it's super chill."  Let's see which sentiment wins.  I'm just praying I'll be able to get in some good reads throughout the year and won't completely end up like this:

Source

But in all seriousness, I'm looking forward to my senior year.  I can't believe it's my last year in high school.  Am I excited?  Scared?  Nervous?  Stressed?  All of the above.  It's my number one intention to make this year count.  I look forward to my college years more than anything.

I'm sure you know the struggle of finding time to read; we all have numerous commitments in our lives to keep us busy.  I want to know: How do you find the time to read?


Julia's a dreamer. She often zones off periodically throughout the day thinking up plans for the future, pining over fictional characters, and concocting up possible plot lines for stories.

You can find Julia on her main blog, Peach Print, on Twitter @peachprint, on Instagram @yapeach, and of course, right here on the APCB blog.

12 comments:

  1. Wow I thought it was Rachel writing this post, and I was like aren't you already in college lmfao. Julia it's okay to be scared for the years to come and the future. I think it's great that you're graduating and going out into the real world. I have two more years ahead of me lmfao I'm so young :P People always ask me how I manage to handle book blogger, Youtube, reading and bookstagram. I am totally honestly with them and I tell them that I put my reading career and hobbies before school. I believe that people shouldn't die for their grades or to be the top student. THey just have to show consistency in what they do and what they are doing outside of school. I make sure to manage my gradesbut still give me time to enjoy doing what I love or else I'll be sad every day and never feel happy, which is a bad thing :D

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely read during my commutes and during my lunch breaks! It's the biggest chunk of time I have in my day to read (3 hours in total), so I take full advantage ;) If I really crave reading time, I usually try to clear my schedule for a few hours on a weeknight or during the weekend so that I can get some reading done then too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm a senior this upcoming year as well and i'm eliminating any lingering expectations i have that i'll be able to even crack thirty books this year. as a junior this year, i probably read the least i've ever read in probably ten years or so. sophomore year was definitely the best year for reading for me as well, due to a combination of me just wanting to read more & being really good about finding time to do so and the fact that it was really, really laid back and easy for me too. i don't know exactly why either but the reasoning that makes the most sense is that in grade nine, i was still trying to adjust to high school and in grade ten, i had already adjusted so i knew how to manage my work and i knew what to expect. anyway, i'll be stalking this post in the next few days for the comments as well even though most of the time, it's not finding time to read that's the problem so much as finding the motivation to read...

    on a sidenote, here's to hoping that both of our senior years go well! i feel such comfort whenever i learn that other bloggers are the same age as i am and/or experiencing the same things i am. it makes me feel less alone, especially when this year is going to be such a milestone what with leaving high school and ending another chapter in my life while simultaneously starting another one by preparing to go to university... it FRIGHTENS me so much but somehow it makes it so much better to know others are experiencing it with me too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely know what you mean! I'm not the most studious student out there so I get to read a lot during my early years in uni. But now I'm on my final year and finally working on my undergraduate thesis/research (which I must say is currently not going well), things have started becoming more difficult and I can't afford to procrastinate too much like before. Right now, I just read on my commute to uni, in-between class schedules, and before I sleep at night (which is definitely not a good thing because I need to wake up at 4AM, ohwell).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I spent a year unemployed and my reading life really benefited from it. I was reading like 5 books a week. I never struggled to find time to read. And then just over a year ago I finally found a job, and the same week I met my now boyfriend. My free time immediately dropped and my reading really suffered. I struggled to fin time to read, and when I did find the time I struggled to concentrate on my reading.
    It took a month or two but I managed to work out the times I could read. On the way to work, in my lunch hour, on my way home. I even take a book with me when I walk my dog in the fields behind my house!
    Things will probably feel a little hectic at times but you'll find the time to read. And maybe you wont read to much as you did in your Sophomore year, but that's fine. It's more about quality than quantity anyway!
    Good luck with senior year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh I feel you on this! I was a senior last year (going to be a freshmen in college this year) and it was actually okay. After you get all of your college stuff taken care of, and if you just stay focused on things and don't procrastinate, you'll do fine! I had a really hard time junior year but that was mostly because I procrastinated SO much and I didn't make sure that my homework was done right after I got home and I didn't muck around during extra time during the school day. Use every second! Don't let it freak you out though! It's pretty cool to finally be a senior so enjoy it! Best of luck, Julia!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a senior too, and I completely relate! TIMMMEEE IS SO HARD TO FIND. WHERE IS A TIME TURNER WHEN YOU NEED IT? Lately I have just been cutting back on a lot of things and deciding what my priorities are so I can partake in them. Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm also a senior in high school SO I TOTALLY FEEL YOU ON THIS POST. Business and ugh AP research is killing me (in a good, non-literal way) I read like two-four books a week. I often read in between classes (like while I walk), for maybe half an hour before I sleep every nigh, during lunch time, and I listen to audiobooks while I run/knit/craft. I'm a really fast reader as well which helps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Know the feel, though university isn't much better. But yeah, I've always wondered how Rachel did it. So superhuman would be a good explination.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember being in school and I get the struggle. When I am super busy and it seems like I have 1000 things to do but read, it can be difficult. Sometimes I just sneak in 10 minutes before I go to sleep. Or I did used to read during my lunch break at work. I am very good at multitasking, so reading and eating at the same time are not a problem. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't read a ton when I was in high school or college either, mostly because I was so tired from swimming and needed to get up early for... well, swimming. School for me was usually NBD, which I was really grateful for, so I did get some reading in from time to time. Now... I read super late at night when I am supposed to be asleep. It's literally trying to choose between sleeping and reading (and blogging!) and I try to split it. Which makes for a tired Shannon, and is probably not the best option. I honestly don't know WHAT a good way to do it is. I don't want to NOT read, you know?

    Unhelpful college hint: I didn't want to go anywhere far from home, but my parents made me. BUT they also filled out the applications because I refused to go away from home. So I mean, not saying it would work if you bluffed but... ;) (FWIW, I did eventually end up going to one of the stupid places my mom made me apply to. Do not choose colleges that way. I am sure I do not have to tell you this bwhahah.)

    Good luck, and have an AMAZING senior year- mine was absolutely one of THE best times of my life, and I hope yours is too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmm, I'm not in school anymore, but, when I was, I usually did most of my reading *during* school, like when I had finished my work in class and had free time. Truth be told, it was in college when I actually pretty much stopped reading. I was so busy and then I just kind of forgot how great reading was for a few years until I re-read HP (also in about a week, also one of my greatest feats lol). Now I tend to do most of my reading while I'm waiting for things, like my food to cook or my laundry to be done, and before I go to sleep. But reading before I go to sleep can be both good and bad since sometimes I just end up staying up later than I want to admit lol.

    And btw, you should *definitely* be excited for senior year! There's always so much fun stuff and it's your last year, so enjoy it :-)

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)