What Sparked Your Love for Reading?

Source

On the first day of my "Young Adult World and Perspective" class, my teacher posed the following question to us: "What is your favorite book?"

The question seemed simple enough to answer, right?  It's a common topic of conversation, and a common question many of us are asked rather frequently.  When it was my turn to share, I answered without difficulty.  However, as we went around the class, some of my classmates' answers were both amusing and . . . disappointing -- and perhaps surprising.  Here are some of the most notable answers I can remember:


"I don't have a favorite book."

"I've never read a book I've enjoyed."

"Uh . . . The Cat in the Hat?"

While The Cat in the Hat is a great selection, one would think a group of sixteen, seventeen, and perhaps some eighteen-year-olds, could think of at least one memorable book from their many years of learning and living.  It actually saddened me and got me wondering: What sparks one's love for reading?

When I look back upon my own life, there's no definitive moment.  As you can probably agree, it's a collection of events that influences one to love reading.  When I was in elementary school, my classes would hold frequent visits to the school library.  Our beloved librarian on campus would read stories to us, somehow managing to enrapture our young and flitting minds for a handful of minutes.  And a school-wide reading program encouraged us all to read.  But even then, I don't remember truly loving to read.

Source

In middle school, at least in the beginning, I didn't read much either.  Although classes often forced students to make their home among the library's shelves, I read when I had to, not because I wanted to.  I think a close friend of mine at the time played some part in sparking my interest in reading.  She was a fervent reader who always had her nose in one book or another.  Every day, it seemed like she recommended something new to me.  Slowly, I fell into the cycle of browsing, borrowing, reading, and repeating.

However, I think it was my Aunty Jama, a children's author, a major bibliophile, and fellow book blogger at Jama's Alphabet Soup, who influenced me the most.  Likely since the day I was born, she has been showering me with wonderful gifts of books and other literary novelties for birthdays, holidays, and other special occasions throughout the year.  Her love for books and blogging has definitely inspired me to take my own plunge into this online world.

So, what sparked your love for reading?

Was it through school, a friend, or a close family member, like it was for me?

I'd love to know in the comments below.  Hopefully, when one asks you what your favorite book is, you'll be able to answer better than some of my classmates did. ;-)


Julia's a dreamer. She often zones off periodically throughout the day thinking up plans for the future, pining over fictional characters, and concocting up possible plot lines for stories.

You can find Julia on her main blog, Peach Print, on Twitter @peachprint, on Instagram @yapeach, and of course, right here on the APCB blog.

5 comments:

  1. Sadly, I've been in a similar situation in classrooms where all the answers given were close to the ones you've heard. It's (unfortunately) rare to find people who read these days, much less people who are as excited about reading and books as we are. Like you, I think a close family member started me on reading - my mom. Plus I was an only child so it was good to be in another person's shoes sometimes. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those are disappointing answers :-/ For me I just wouldn't have an answer because I couldn't choose between too many lol.

    I didn't have any one particular thing that sparked my interest in reading though. I think I actually like nonfiction more in elementary school (like books with little interesting facts and stories), but I was also reading Harry Potter and really loved some of the required novels, like The Phantom Tollbooth. I think it was in middle school when I got SUPER into reading though and starting going through a book a day sometimes. And I ended up with a bunch of friends who also read a lot, so we would all lend and borrow books, which probably helped even if it didn't quite start my love for books. And that was just kind of it lol. There wasn't one person or one moment or one book that I can recall. I guess reading just suited me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved to read as a kid and stopped once I hit college for a while. I started again after reading Twilight and never looked back! I will never understand how some people don't like to read... they just aren't doing it right :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going to sound slightly embarrassing, but it might be Twilight. My dad brought me the first book, the cheesy movie tie-in edition, so I can relate sorta. hahah. That might be what *revived* my interest in reading because I've always been an on/off reader. I read the Princess Diaries/Sisterhood of Travelling Pants trilogies, but had never finished them. Ha.

    Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really hate choosing fave books just because it's sooooo difficult!!

    I never read until I was around 14. My sister forced me to read a book called Darkness Before Dawn (which I read for an entire month and whose story I can't even remember. all I can recall is that it's dark and has a heavy story). After that I picked up The Clique series by Lisi Harrison and the rest is history. I'm really thankful for my sister :)

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)