Rachel's Fear of (Book) Commitment


I am notorious for starting things and never finishing them. Most notably tv shows and books. I have read so many first books in series, yet often I lose interest before I can pick up the subsequent books. Or I have to wait for the next book, and I detest waiting. My attention span is quite short, so if the next or final book isn't out within a year, my interest usually wanes, and I move on to another book obsession.

Most notably I have yet to read these sequels: Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor, The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater, Stone Cold Touch by JLA, The Van Alen Legacy by Melissa de la Cruz, Kingdom of Ashes by Rhiannon Thomas.

Then there are some times when I hold the final book in my hands and hesitate to start. I'm struck by the realization that this is the final installment to a beloved series. There will be no more books after this one. The second I open the book to page one, I am one step closer to being done with these characters forever. That is when my fear of bookish commitment comes out. I have so many unfinished series that I have loved but have put off reading.

I am just not ready to say goodbye to some series. I don't want to say farewell to the lovely characters that I've gotten to know so well. I can't imagine the story coming to a close after many late nights of frantically turning the pages, the pounding in my heart during anxiety-inducing scenes, and the tears that overcome when the tragedies befall. How can I say goodbye to the characters that made me laugh, the scenes that made me weep, the writing that sucked me in. I don't want to leave the book's world behind forever.

I haven't read: Winter by Marissa Meyer, The Retribution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin, Mortal Heart Robin LaFevers, Requiem by Lauren Oliver, The King Slayer by Virginia Boecker, The Rose and The Dagger by Renée Ahdieh.

Do you have a fear of book commitment? Which sequels or final books have you put off reading?Do you prefer a happily ever after or a not quite perfect ending? Or a devastating one? Or an open one?
Rachel is a teenaged unapologetic fangirl and perfectionist.

She loves reading for the escape it gives from reality and enjoys crying over books, swooning over characters, and laughing out loud over funny lines. She is a semi-recovering Netflix addict and a middle child of three.

You can find her on Twitter @yaperfectionist & Goodreads.

7 comments:

  1. This is the exact reason I really don't want to finish Blood of Olympus! PJO was my whole childhood and I don't know if I can bear to part with everyone! Maybe it'll sit half finished on my shelf forever...

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember hesitating to read The Iron Warrior. I loved the world so much, and the 2nd book had such a horrible cliffy. I finally bought it when I went to YallFest last year. Julie Kagawa was there, and she gave me the confidence to finish the series. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SOOooo far behind in some series that I will probably never finish them. The Morganville Vampire series by Rachel Caine; the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. Really, I think I just taper out at around 7-9 books. More than that and I start to get super ADD.

    You should totally read Winter though! It was so good! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually finish a series once I start it, I have this need to know what happens next! I don't hesitate unless I didn't like the first book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES, this is me! There are so many book series that I've left unfinished and I'm always hesitant reading the last book in a series I've grown to love as I'm terrible with goodbyes! I can definitely relate to this post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to be SO good at series! And then I think I got some commitment issues too- mostly, like you said, the unwillingness for the series to ever end! I have been disappointed a lot too, which I think doesn't help me want to finish them. I haven't read SO MANY series conclusions, and I know I am setting myself up for spoilers, so it isn't great!

    As far as endings, I prefer one that is realistically hopeful. It doesn't have to be a full out HEA, but like, some hope would be nice. And open endings are basically NEVER okay with me. I want to know the whole story, people! (Also, don't feel bad, I still have to read ALL of those books you mentioned, except Requiem and TRatD!)Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I struggle more with finishing books, because there are so many new series published. Every time I seem to start 10 new ones for every series I finish. It's sometimes so hard to keep up and find the time to read sequels, when so many new books are being published. And not to mention series where I should reread the previous books to refresh my memories..

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)