Required Reading TBR

Ah yes, August and September. Two months that are not my friends because it inevitably means school which inevitably means an unplanned hiatus until I get my pattern down (fun fact: I'm starting to get my pattern down!).

For those who don't know, I'm in high school and I am currently taking AP Language and Composition. This class is a college-designed course that requires a lot of reading, argumentative essays, and SO. MUCH. TIME. But, it's not too bad considering 1) I love reading and 2) I love arguing. It'll prove to be a fun class, I'm sure.

My teacher recently gave me a list of books that we can choose from. The only rules: 3 fiction, 3 nonfiction, must be an American author, and one fiction must be before 1900 (okay wait, this is more rules than I thought now that I'm typing it out). I asked you all on Twitter (@PrincessicaOB!) which ones you all recommend and here are the results:

3 Fiction


  • The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath: This classic follows a woman's, Esther's, breakdown and it has a dark and realistic tone, or so I've been told. This is actually the one that was recommend the most and also the one I am currently reading, rather listening to. I sampled the audiobook and I absolutely love the narrator!
  • Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston: I actually have no idea what this is about but Lisa Maxwell, author of Unhooked, and others told me it's an important read. I think it might be a little romantic, or at least I'm hoping, but it does have African-American elements so I am very happy to diversify my list.

1 Before 1900


  • Little Women by Louisa May Alcott: So this is like the contemporary Harry Potter: childhood favorite, heart-warming, and seriously read by almost everyone. I'll probably read or listen to this one around Christmas time because I believe it's set around that time.

3 Nonfiction


  • The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell: I read his other book, Outliers, this summer and even though I didn't agree with his argument, I enjoyed his writing style so I am willing to give this one a try. In this one, Gladwell examines at what point do the little things outweigh the big thing and I'm very excited to examine with him. I'll probably read this one next month.
  • I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou: This is Angelou's memoir and since I've always admired her, her kindness, and her message, I was very excited to see this one on the list. Also a plus: African-American author!
  • The Feminine Mystique by Betty Friedan: I've heard incredibly mixed things about this one and honestly, I still don't know to feel about this one. However, I find the topic interesting since I am an advocate for the feminist movement. 
So, have you read any of these? Which books should I read before others? Do you have any recommendations fitting the criteria above?

Jess is a young adult currently residing in California, USA. She is frequently found in art museums, the audience of poetry slams, the classroom learning about life science (her favorite science), or her backyard, blogging, watering her plants, or reading (most likely all three).

Find Jess on her main blog, Twitter, Instagram, or Goodreads.

2 comments:

  1. I remember taking APLAC my junior year of high school... It was a nightmare for me because I procrastinated on everything and we wrote a LOT of essays so I'd be writing like 3 essays the night before they were due. My best advice: don't procrastinate! I'm sure it'll be a piece of cake for you and I hope you enjoy all of your books (even though they ARE for school and that can make them way less enjoyable)!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love Little Women, I've read it so many times! I hope that you love it!!

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)