Review: Come Back To Me

Author: Mila Gray
Series: Come Back To Me #1
Genre: NA Contemporary
Page Length: 352 Pages
Publication Date: December 8th, 2015
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Source: eARC via Edelweiss (thanks Simon!)
Goodreads | Amazon
In this heart-wrenching tale of love and loss, a young Marine and his best friend’s sister plunge into a forbidden love affair while he’s home on leave.

When a Marine Chaplain knocks on her door, Jessa’s heart breaks—someone she loves is dead. Killed in action, but is it Riley or Kit? Her brother or her boyfriend…

Three months earlier, Marine Kit Ryan finds himself back home on leave and dangerously drawn to his best friend Riley’s sister, Jessa—the one girl he can’t have. Exhausted from fighting his feelings, Kit finally gives in, and Jessa isn’t strong enough to resist diving headfirst into a passionate relationship.

But what was just supposed to be a summer romance develops into something far greater than either of them expected. Jessa’s finally found the man of her dreams and Kit’s finally discovered there’s someone he’d sacrifice everything for.

When it’s time for Kit to redeploy, neither one is ready to say goodbye. Jessa vows to wait for him and Kit promises to come home to her. No matter what.

But as Jessa stands waiting for the Marine Chaplain to break her heart, she can’t help but feel that Kit has broken his promise…

Riley or Kit? Kit or Riley? Her brother or her boyfriend? Who’s coming home to her?
This is a story of love and loss, family and friendship, downfall and redemption. I started this early in the morning and finished in a mere three hours. 

The story starts with a mystery. A Marine Chaplain comes to Jessa's door, and she knows it's to deliver condolences and news of a casualty. Is it her boyfriend Kit or his best friend and her brother Riley? And then we're thrust back three months to when it all began... This technique keeps readers attention as we all wonder who died until the big reveal and maintains a sense of suspense and dread as we read because we know what's coming before the characters do.

Mila's writing was addictive and lyrical. It was easy to comprehend and always captured the mood and feel perfectly, which is so important in this emotionally-charged novel that brings heartbreaking and uplifting scenes from all sides. The characters were charming and relatable. The plot is absorbing and enthralling. There's such a big attention placed on emotions, and I thought Mila did a wonderful job with that.

I really loved the romance of this book. It contains the usual trope of guy (Kit) likes best friend(Riley)'s little sister (Jessa), and it's done well. I won't say it's insta-lovey since these characters have known each other for years, but I wish we saw a bit more of their evolving feelings because by the beginning of the book, Jessa and Kit both have crushes on each other. Their chemistry is amazing, and I love their banter. Come Back To Me is a story of first love, and I'm so glad that it lacked the usual drama and jealousy yet amped up on the sweetness. What I love most of all though is the slow burn of the romance and how there's no rush. The cute gestures and saccharine-sweet lines are sigh-worthy. I also love how Kit and Jessa make each other better.

Although the romance was great and definitely the focus of the plot, the family elements were really great. Kit has such a great relationship with his recovering-alcoholic father, while Jessa's father suffers from PTSD and terrorizes the whole family. I really liked seeing the family dynamics shift and evolve and appreciated how Mila tastefully incorporated military PTSD in the story.

This book portrays loss and redemption so well. I sympathized for these characters, I rooted for them too. That being said, I felt the ending was a bit too picture perfect for the story. This book is all about struggles and tragedy, and I just didn't appreciate how much the ending seemed to discredit all that happened before... So a little less happy would have made this ending better I think.

Overall I highly recommend this novel to those who are looking for a first-love romance to sweep you off your feet.
Rachel is a teenaged unapologetic fangirl and perfectionist.

She loves reading for the escape it gives from reality and enjoys crying over books, swooning over characters, and laughing out loud over funny lines. She is a semi-recovering Netflix addict and a middle child of three.

You can find her on Twitter @yaperfectionist & Goodreads.

6 comments:

  1. Lovely review :) I hope to read this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOLY CRAP I PUT THIS ON OF MY NA RECOMMENDATIONS LIST and am just waiting to pick it up!! I love this review so much because it sounds exactly what I expect it to be like. I was kind of curious about how that trope would play out in this book but I mean you said it's done nicely, so I have no doubt that I'll enjoy it. AND IT'S NA!! Just a cherry on top of all that cake!

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  3. This actually sounds really great. I just read the synopsis and your review, and already feel like I need to read it. The romance sounds adorable, and I want to know who came home! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a good book and one that is also very sad and realistic. So enjoyed your review. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh this book sounds AMAZING! Definitely adding it to my TBR pile! *_*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard very good things about this one, I am so glad that you loved it too! :)

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)