Review: The Graces

I've been in college for two months, and I've finished ONE book in that time. With that being said, I thought it would be a good idea to get an additional guest reviewer to review some of my ARCs instead of letting them go to waste. So without further ado, here is Emily with her first review!

Author: Laura Eve
Series: The Graces #1
Genre: YA Paranormal
Page Length: 336 Pages
Publication Date: December 8th, 2015
Publisher: Amulet Books
Source: ARC via Publisher (thanks!)
Goodreads | Amazon
Everyone loves the Graces.

Fenrin Grace is larger than life, almost mythical. He’s the school Pan, seducing girls without really meaning to. He’s biding his time until someone special comes along. Someone different, who will make him wonder how he got along all this time without her. Someone like me.

Fenrin’s twin, Thalia, is a willowy beauty with rippling, honey-colored hair. Wherever she goes, Thalia leaves behind a band of followers who want to emulate her. She casts spells over everyone she encounters, just like Fenrin—even if they both deny it.

Then there’s Summer. She’s the youngest Grace, and the only one who admits she’s really a witch. Summer is dark on the outside—with jet-black hair and kohl-rimmed eyes—and on the inside. It was inevitable that she’d find me, the new girl—a loner with secrets lurking under the surface.

I am River. I am not a Grace. But I’ll do anything to become one.
This is a story of love and loss, family and friendship, downfall and redemption. I started this early in the morning and finished in a mere three hours. 

After finishing the last page and closing The Graces, I was honestly at a loss as to how I should rate the book. Did it have it’s flaws? Yes. Did I devour the story in a day and enjoy the experience? Also yes. This novel was deliciously bohemian, twisty, and dark.

In the end, I can’t recommend The Graces to everybody. All you have to do it look at the slew of one-star reviews on Goodreads to see what I’m talking about... this book warrants mixed reviews. However, I personally was very engaged by Laure Eve’s creation.

Firstly, this is not a romance. In fact, there is not truly a main pair of lovers in this novel. Sure there are crushes, past relationships, and even relationships between other side characters. However, The Graces is ultimately about the glamour of one family; the darkness, fear, and obsessions inside our main character, River; and the begging question “Is magic at work?”.

Our main group is the Grace Family (Fenrin, Thalia, and Summer) plus our protagonist who renames herself “River”. The Grace family is adored, yet still rumors about their supposed powers run amok in the town. River is weird and different enough to make her way into their ranks. River is also obsessed with the Graces in an unsettling way. The book primarily follows her journey with them.

My complaints? Sometimes the characters spoke to poetically and deeply for me. The waxy, philosophical stuff is hard to get right in dialogue. Also, River was never likable in my opinion. I felt no real connection to any of the characters. Additionally, The Grace family showed a lot of potential but I wanted the story to dig deeper into each of the sibling’s real selves.

In the end, I was satisfied with this addicting story. I am excited, although a bit hesitant, to see where Eve takes the next book. Her characters are far from lovable, and the tale was very weird, but it’s worth it. (I recommend checking out the author’s Pinterest Board for The Graces!) Overall, The Graces was a dark and unsettling addition to my bookshelf in a mostly good way!

Emily Anne is a forever book-lover who also happens to dance and bake a lot. On rainy days you can find her cuddled up reading a book while sipping a cup of Earl Grey. Her passions are ballet, books, and blogging. She also stalks her favorite authors on twitter and unabashedly pushes her favorite series onto unsuspecting others.

 She is often on Twitter @Reader_Rising, on Goodreads, or on her blog!

3 comments:

  1. I love books that are addictive haha! I've heard this one is a little different but I think I'll still give it a go! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect review is perfect. There were things I didn't enjoy, but the overall story captivated me and I can't wait to see what happens next.

    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AAAAAAH. I have a copy of Graces, too! I can't wait. Great review, Emily!

    Yani // Paper Boulevard

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)