ARC Review: Daughter of the Pirate King

Author: Tricia Levenseller
Series: DotPK #1
Genre: YA Fantasy
Page Length: 320 Pages
Publication Date: February 28, 2017
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Source: ARC via publisher
Goodreads | Amazon
A 17-year-old pirate captain intentionally allows herself to get captured by enemy pirates in this thrilling YA adventure.

Sent on a mission to retrieve an ancient hidden map—the key to a legendary treasure trove—seventeen-year-old pirate captain Alosa deliberately allows herself to be captured by her enemies, giving her the perfect opportunity to search their ship.

More than a match for the ruthless pirate crew, Alosa has only one thing standing between her and the map: her captor, the unexpectedly clever and unfairly attractive first mate, Riden. But not to worry, for Alosa has a few tricks up her sleeve, and no lone pirate can stop the Daughter of the Pirate King.
I always love a good pirate story, and this one did not disappoint.

Daughter of the Pirate King somehow managed to be both incredibly bloody and funny at the same time. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and I zipped through it in just a few hours. Alosa, daughter of the Pirate King, is sent on a mission to stage her own kidnapping by a specific crew of pirates so she can find a specific map on their ship. As she struggles to maintain her ruse, she finds the handsome and sharp first mate, Riden, watching her every move. And not all is as it seems onboard the ship.

Tricia's writing is delightful. She writes in such a smooth and slick fashion that readers will quickly devour. Her writing sparks with life, hilarity, and basically emits a personality of its own. I loved the sarcastic and humorous tone of the writing that allows Alosa's character to shine through. The pacing was quick throughout the book, and I basically loved every minute of reading this book. There was plenty of swashbuckling, swordplay, cannon blasts, and fights to give readers the pirate adventure novel they seek. The action sequences were exciting. Tricia also adds an interesting element to her story that I think readers will find as fascinating as I did. I'd say more, but I don't want to spoil you!

I wish there were more world-building, but I guess with a story at sea there isn't as much to share and describe. I would've liked to know more about the history, hierarchy, and rule of the Pirate King through. Although I guessed the twists in this book, it didn't really diminish my enjoyment of the story.

Alosa is so unapologetically badass in this book. She is the epitome of girl power and I love her confidence and strength and courage. She loves so fiercely but she also takes lives without an afterthought. Her competence and independence made her such an easy protagonist to admire. Riden is as swoony as I'd hoped he would be. We also meet a colorful cast of pirates to round out the story. A majority of the time is spent with these two characters though. I love the banter between Alosa and Riden. Their relationship is a battle of wits and the mind and I love their constant bickering. They had so many moments that made my heart swell.

Overall this book entertained me from start to finish and I will definitely be pre-ordering a finished copy! If you like badass main characters, sweet romance, and pirates then I recommend you check out this book.
Rachel is a teenaged unapologetic fangirl and perfectionist.

She loves reading for the escape it gives from reality and enjoys crying over books, swooning over characters, and laughing out loud over funny lines. She is a semi-recovering Netflix addict and a middle child of three.

You can find her on Twitter @yaperfectionist & Goodreads.

10 comments:

  1. Great review! This is a book that I've been seriously thinking about picking up so i'm glad to see you enjoyed it. I think I'm definitely going to have to add it to my TBR.

    Lauren @ My Expanding Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to hear you enjoyed this! I have an ARC of it too which I have not yet read (oops!) but hopefully I will get to it soon and enjoy it as much as you enjoyed this! Great review! <3

    xx Anisha (sprinkledpages.blogspot.com.au)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard a lot about this book! I am OBSESSED with Pirates of the Caribbean so i'm super excited to read this :P Great review!
    Kariny @ kariny's boox frenzy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bloody + Funny = awesome combo! :D And I also adore Alosa, she's such a badass :) So glad you enjoyed this one, Rachel!

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo I love pirate stories and this looks so good! I'm so glad you weren't disappointed by it; it's been so long since I've read a good pirate book. I am sad that you thought there wasn't enough world-building in terms of the Pirate King and his power structure because there's so much potential there but perhaps it'll be included in the rest of the series. This is definitely going on my TBR! Lovely review, Rachel!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOoh nice! I was curious about this one once I started reading a review or two! I love a good pirate story...or you know Johnny Depp! Lol! This sounds like my kind of read though! Glad to hear you enjoyed it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooooh I'm excited for this one! Badass women are always amazing :) I'm glad to see that you enjoyed, Rachel <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never read a pirate story before (for some reason they've never really intrigued me), but I think I might just have to make an exception and give this one a try. It sounds absolutely wonderful. Thanks for sharing Rachel and, as always, fabulous review! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I do love pirates and being "both incredibly bloody and funny" sounds like a great read. We have a few pirate books in the library but students don't really care for them. I'm hoping the faster pace and might make this a better choice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVED this book so much Alosa was hilarious, I loved the back and forth banter between her and the other characters.I'm glad you enjoyed it too!

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)