#Read Dessen: Along for the Ride


Sarah Dessen is a household name in YA contemporary. She is known for writing adorable romance novels that also address tough subjects. In preparation for the release of her thirteenth novel, Once and For All, Penguin is hosting a celebratory countdown to the publication date by highlighting her past novels.

Today I'm talking about my favorite Dessen book, Along for the Ride. I loved this book, and it is the perfect summer beach read!

I used to be an insomniac quite like Auden, the main character of Along for the Ride. I've since found some techniques that have helped me fall asleep and stay asleep throughout the night.

Read a book - If you prefer, you can read a physical copy of a book, but I like to read at night on my ereader. You can turn off the lights and put your ereader on night mode. I've noticed that it helps me fall asleep much faster than when I don't read.
Workout - After dinner, go for a run or go to the gym! Do some type of physical activity or exertion to make you tired. It'll help you stay fit and make you want to rest. I always sleep soundly after a rigorous trip to the gym or a long run.
Drink warm (decaf) tea - Honestly any warm drink helps, but I prefer decaf tea.
Take a bath - I love to take warm baths on occasion, and this always helps me relax and fall asleep later.
Light candles - Some scents help me fall asleep too, so while I drink tea in my kitchen, I usually light some candles at the same time.
Put on soothing sounds - Occasionally, if I'm having a really rough time falling asleep I will put on soothing music, usually something natural like crashing waves, dripping water, or forest noises. It helps me relax enough to drift asleep.

I hope this helps!

Author: Sarah Dessen
Genre: YA Contemporary
Page Length: 383 Pages
Publication Date: June 16th, 2009
Publisher: Viking/Penguin

Amazon | Goodreads
It’s been so long since Auden slept at night. Ever since her parents’ divorce—or since the fighting started. Now she has the chance to spend a carefree summer with her dad and his new family in the charming beach town where they live.

A job in a clothes boutique introduces Auden to the world of girls: their talk, their friendship, their crushes. She missed out on all that, too busy being the perfect daughter to her demanding mother. Then she meets Eli, an intriguing loner and a fellow insomniac who becomes her guide to the nocturnal world of the town. Together they embark on parallel quests: for Auden, to experience the carefree teenage life she’s been denied; for Eli, to come to terms with the guilt he feels for the death of a friend.

In her signature pitch-perfect style, Sarah Dessen explores the hearts of two lonely people learning to connect.

Schedule:

ALONG FOR THE RIDE
WHAT HAPPENED TO GOODBYE

Giveaway:

Enter for a chance to win one (1) set of Sarah Dessen’s books in paperback (ARV: $132.00).
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Enter between 12:00 AM Eastern Time on April 17, 2017 and 12:00 AM on May 29, 2017.  Open to residents of the fifty United States and the District of Columbia who are 13 and older. Winners will be selected at random on or about June 1, 2017. Odds of winning depend on number of eligible entries received. Void where prohibited or restricted by law.
a Rafflecopter giveaway

Have you read any Sarah Dessen books? Which are your favorites?
Rachel is a teenaged unapologetic fangirl and perfectionist.

She loves reading for the escape it gives from reality and enjoys crying over books, swooning over characters, and laughing out loud over funny lines. She is a semi-recovering Netflix addict and a middle child of three.

You can find her on Twitter @yaperfectionist & Goodreads.

5 comments:

  1. I've only read two of Sarah Dessen's books but I know Saint Anything is my absolute favorite! I absolutely can't wait to read the rest of her books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a total Dessen fan, and although I have only read a few of her novels, she is an auto-buy author for me. I love all of your ideas for relaxation. Taking a bath is what usually helps me to fall asleep as well. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of Sarah's books yet, but I've heard good things about them and am seeing some great things on this tour. Thanks for hosting! PS: I have sleep issues, too. I usually listen to audiobooks that I've already read, which helps a little (it's always hard for me to shut my mind off).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah Dessen's books are great! I love Along For the Ride!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was the Dessen book I couldn't stand :( I was an insomniac before, like Audrey. I've fully recovered now, as long as I stick to my habits and try not to break my cycle too much. But this book didn't work for me, I was mostly bored :/ I am glad you could enjoy it though!

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)