#Read Dessen: Just Listen


Sarah Dessen is a household name in YA contemporary. She is known for writing adorable romance novels that also address tough subjects. In preparation for the release of her thirteenth novel, Once and For All, Penguin is hosting a celebratory countdown to the publication date by highlighting her past novels.

Today I'm talking about Dessen's arguably most popular novel, Just Listen. I really enjoyed this book, and here are four reasons why you should read it!

Friendship/Family - There is a strong family presence in this book! I love to see close siblings and great parents, and this book has both. While this book can be gloomy and dreary in parts, the family support system really brightened this book. Just Listen also explores friendship in a way that is different from other novels.

Life Lessons - “Don't think or judge, just listen" is a quote I pulled from the book that really stuck with me. There are so many elements of this book that can turn into valuable life lessons for readers, and I will leave it at that.

Music - Calling all music fans! Music is an unexpected but wonderful aspect of this book. I guess I should've expected it though with a title like "Just Listen" and headphones on the girl...

Romance - I'm thrilled to say there is no insta-love nor is the love interest the typical brooding bad boy. I loved hearing Owen's story and watching the romance unfold.


Author: Sarah Dessen
Genre: YA Contemporary
Page Length: 371 Pages
Publication Date: April 6th, 2006
Publisher: Viking/Penguin

Amazon | Goodreads
Last year, Annabel was "the girl who has everything" — at least that's the part she played in the television commercial for Kopf's Department Store.

This year, she's the girl who has nothing: no best friend because mean-but-exciting Sophie dropped her, no peace at home since her older sister became anorexic, and no one to sit with at lunch. Until she meets Owen Armstrong.

Tall, dark, and music-obsessed, Owen is a reformed bad boy with a commitment to truth-telling. With Owen's help, maybe Annabel can face what happened the night she and Sophie stopped being friends.

Giveaway:

Enter for a chance to win one (1) set of Sarah Dessen’s books in paperback (ARV: $132.00).
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Enter between 12:00 AM Eastern Time on April 17, 2017 and 12:00 AM on May 29, 2017.  Open to residents of the fifty United States and the District of Columbia who are 13 and older. Winners will be selected at random on or about June 1, 2017. Odds of winning depend on number of eligible entries received. Void where prohibited or restricted by law.
a Rafflecopter giveaway

Have you read any Sarah Dessen books? Which are your favorites?
Rachel is a teenaged unapologetic fangirl and perfectionist.

She loves reading for the escape it gives from reality and enjoys crying over books, swooning over characters, and laughing out loud over funny lines. She is a semi-recovering Netflix addict and a middle child of three.

You can find her on Twitter @yaperfectionist & Goodreads.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, this one looks so cute! I haven't read any Dessen novels thus far, but I'm thinking Just Listen will be my first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am new to Sarah Dessen's books. This would be a great way to discover them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard great things about Sarah's books but just haven't read any yet. I need to fix that asap! Thanks for hosting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my favourite Dessen book. I love it so much. I related so much to the main character, it was almost like she was me. And then seeing her develop so much over the course of the novel, just like Owen did, made my heart so happy. It wasn't even a sad ending, but I cried. Thrice. Man, I love this book.

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)